The Value of Pi, The Mysteries of Pi and e and the Bible.

by Chalam 55 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Chalam
    Chalam

2 Peter 3:8 (New International Version)

8 But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day.

Psalm 90:4 (New International Version)

4 For a thousand years in your sight
    are like a day that has just gone by,
    or like a watch in the night.

I have no problem with God creating the universe in six days, six thousand years or more. What is important to me is that I believe in the Creator, not coincidence. Einstein put is one way, "Coincidence is God's way of remaining anonymous" or you could be more hard-core like Paul

Romans 1:20 (New International Version)

20 For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse.

Anyhow, I'd better keep on topic myself ;)

All the best,

Stephen

• bohm
    bohm

Chalam: Newtons laws (or rather, a subset of them) is made more precise in special relativity. Special relativity is generalized in general relativity. General relativity is in conflict with quantum mechanics, and it is properly the greatest problem of the 21st century in physics to find a new theory which contains them.

This thing about the speed of light - well, varying speed of light has been proposed to help maintain casual structure during the inflation periode of the universe and to support the 6000 years idea of the universe. Allthough i got a A+ in general relativity i am really not qualified on commenting on these things, but i think it would be best to wait propegate these ideas untill there is a viable theory for describing them, and that there are emperical support for them. Right now, studies of distant quasars as well as the okla reactor indicates no change in the periodes they cover. note this does not indicate changes in the speed of light during the inflation is impossible (which, lets face it, is a periode where we can only say something *really* weird happened).

I dont want to say varible speed of light is impossible... the fact that we have no idea of what constitute about 95% of the universe (dark energy/dark matter) is a hint that we are missing something big and the laws has to be rewritten. Variable speed of light is certainly an option.

However, there are two ways of doing science. In one way you carefully create theories, test them against nature, and see if changes are required, and remain objective. Then there are the WT way where you go though the litterature picking out speculations and quotes which support your position and disregard everything else.

I prefer the first.

• VM44
    VM44

The first argument concerning the value of pi is this.

The word for circumference is "qav" which is made up of "q" and "v" which have associated numerical values 100 and 6 respectively.

Thus "qav" normally has a value of 106.

The Bible, however, adds the letter "h" to the word "qav" giving "qaveh." As the letter "h" has the value of 5 associated with it, the new word "qaveh" has the value 111.

Thus "qveh" is the correction to the word "qav" and so the value of pi of three (3) inferred from the nearby text must be adjusted by the ratio (111/106).

3*(111/106) = 3.14151

Now this approximation for pi is accurate to under 3 thousanths of a percent.

At least this is the argument presented.

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    In all fairness, I don't think anyone believes that the universe is only 6,000 years old!

Yeah, some certainly do. The ones that believe in literal 24 hour creative days. I hope they are just a vocal minority though.

And Chalam, I did not mean to sidetrack your numerology thread. Your Google search link returns many results. Some people are confused because light slows down when traveling through some medium. But there were a few interesting articles. The fact remains, however, that it has been verifiably tested over and over again that the speed of light is a constant (in a vacuum). Einstein's theory of general relativity has also been verified countless times, and it hinges on c being a constant.

So far nothing has confirmed the hypothesis that c may not be a constant. It's just wild speculation at this point.

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

Soooo to sum up. The bible is always right unless it's wrong and then it's still right?

-Meet the new boss, same as the old boss...

(Ps the bible is crap)

• Lillith26
    Lillith26

Stephen

"I am a deeply religious nonbeliever. . . . This is a somewhat new kind of religion."
    Albert Einstein

Numbers are just Numbers and Words are just Words

"The Creation speaketh a universal language, independently of human speech or human language, multiplied and various as they may be. It is an ever-existing original, which every man can read. It cannot be forged; it cannot be counterfeited; it cannot be lost; it cannot be altered; it cannot be suppressed. It does not depend upon the will of man whether it shall be published or not; it publishes itself from one end of the earth to the other. It preaches to all nations and to all worlds; and this word of God reveals to man all that is necessary for man to know of God."~ Thomas Paine

If so, did you read Leviticus 14:1-20???? (Cleasing from Infectious Skin Disease) if this shit actually works, to cure my dermatitis I'm going to sacrafice my pet mouse- paint my nipples with his blood and dance in front of the KH naked- sounds silly hey? I bet I have a fair idea of the NUMBER of people who would pay to see that!

Personally- I dont give a toss what numbers are found in the Bible or the Koran. Have you actually even read these books??????
  • Heaven
    Heaven

Of course, there is also the ulitmate geeky and cool Pi(e) Plate:

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Funny how people can never find new science in the bible.

It's always people doing mental back-flips trying to show that the errors in the bible are actually misunderstood accuracies.

You want to convince me? Easy as 1... 2... 3:

1. Show me some new science from the bible that has not yet been discovered
    2. Produce an experiment to demonstrate it's accuracy.
    3. Win the Nobel Prize
  • Narkissos
    Narkissos

What about Jeremiah 31:39 and Zechariah 1:16, where the MT has exactly the same qere' / ketiv variant, qw / qwh?

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hi Elsewhere,

Not exactly what you are looking as this is not from the bible, but rather the words of a prophet. However, I think you will appreciate it :)

WSTK-ITV- Its Supernatural: Jason Westerfield

Check out the prophecy where Jason says that there will be a new device which can harness the worlds hydrogen for energy and there will be a shift from fossil fuel being the number one energy source. This could take some decades to come to pass but when you see it happen don't forget where you heard it first-a born again prophet of the Most High :)

All the best,

Stephen

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit