The Value of Pi, The Mysteries of Pi and e and the Bible.

by Chalam 55 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hi Jeff,

Please note the caution directed by the author.

Caveats

These numerical values of letters and words can, however, easily lead to mysticism, such as the subjective speculations of the Kabbalah of Judaism - or the mystical conjectures deriving from the Pythagorean Brotherhood - and this is spiritually hazardous and contrary to Scripture. 5

When Pythagoras returned from travel and study in Babylon, India and Egypt, he founded a secret cult in southern Italy based on the numerical explanations for the phenomena of the universe. The Pythagoreans considered numbers to be the elements and origin of everything. While he is credited with the theory of the functional significance of numbers in the objective world and music, the bulk of his intellectual tradition belongs to mystical wisdom rather than scientific scholarship. (The famed Pythagorean theorem regarding the length of the hypotenuse of a right triangle probably developed later in the Pythagorean school he founded.)

Pythagorean doctrine applied number relationships to music theory, acoustics, geometry, and astronomy, and deeply influenced the development of classical Greek philosophy and medieval European thought, including the astrological belief that the number harmony of the universe decidedly affects all human endeavor. This numerical mysticism also was embraced with the rise of Gnostic heresies, which plagued the early church and which also flowered in the medieval church. Numerical mysticism is also deeply involved in Freemasonry and other occultic practices.

The Bible warns against the occult. Spiritual warfare is a reality, 6 and there is great power in the occult. 7 We have serious enemies, that are extremely resourceful and malevolent. The Bible warns of a personal devil and myriads of demons, who should be regarded as cunning enemies, 8 and who are active in the affairs of Planet Earth. 9 In fact, the whole world lies in the power of the Evil One. 10

The devil's tactics include masquerading as an "angel of light" and a servant of righteousness. 11 False teachers and false prophets are linked to evil spirits, and there are "doctrines of demons." 12 Demons work through people by giving them psychic abilities. 13 Supernatural manifestations are to be tested by the Word of God. 14

Another craze has been recently stimulated by the publication of "Bible Codes" involving equidistant letter sequences. The dangers in these provocative "codes" will be the subject of subsequent articles in this series.

All the best,

Stephen

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Thanks for pointing that out Chalam. It seems to me that this is a big "CYA" statement, but at least he realizes he is butting up real close to numerology, even if he doesn't want to charecterize it as such.

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

Wow, someone went through way too much effort on this issue. Numerology and "bible code" stuff is beyond ridiculous.

The recent discovery that the speed of light is not a constant has created quite a stir ...

Bullshit. The speed of light in a vacuum is absolutely a constant. The speed of light traveling through some other medium is of course dependent on the medium.

• Chalam
    Chalam

No problems Jeff :)

Words are important to God, Jesus would be called The Word if they weren't!

So too are numbers. Seen any coincidences in the bible regarding certain numbers?

Here are some to get you started, 3, 5, 6, 7, 12, 40, 144, 666 etc.

All the best,

Stephen

• bohm
    bohm

The recent discovery that the speed of light is not a constant has created quite a stir - and rethinking - in both physics and cosmology.

Well, except it is not a discovery, it is a conjecture, and there is plenty of proof that is has not changed in measureable way. Its something usually promoted by creationists because it somehow (i dont know how) indicated a young universe.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

No thanks Chalam, although I wish you the best in your belief journey.

I can't honestly say that I agree with anything of which you have promoted here, but I realize its important to you. I can't say personally that words are important to god or Jesus, as the only people speaking and translating this are men.

Numbers don't mean anything. I went through that already with the Gentile Times and 1914.

Thanks anyway......

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    Its something usually promoted by creationists because it somehow (i dont know how) indicated a young universe.

It's their incredibly stupid answer to "How can the universe be only 6000 years old when we can see things 14 billion light years away?" "Well the speed of light must have slowed down!"

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hello Dr,

Plenty of people think that Einstein could have got this wrong in the same way that Newton's laws aren't absolute either

speed light not constant

Anyhow, let's keep on topic :) The discussion is about Pi (and e) in the bible.

All the best,

Stephen

• snowbird
    snowbird

In all fairness, I don't think anyone believes that the universe is only 6,000 years old!

Genesis 1:1 In the beginning ... God created the heaven and the earth

John 1:1 In the beginning ... The Word was

When was the beginning?

Sylvia

• Heaven
    Heaven

I like pumpkin pi(e) with whipped cream, personally! Yuuuuuummm!

Pumpkin Pie with Whipped Cream

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit