Swearing - Do you?

by Rosey 31 Replies latest jw friends

• Rosey
    Rosey

One of the things you're not supposed to do as a witness is swear.......but sometimes the definition of what a swear word was went too far. For example in my family at one point my parents decided for a little while that we should stop saying the word "bum" after having used it forever. This did not last as a swear word for very long as.........well I mean .....COME ON!

Anyway since leaving my feelings on swearing have changed.........well I guess they were never really my feelings anyway.

Now I feel that swearing has it's place. Don't get me wrong anyone who knows me would say that I am not a person who swears........I don't think it is appropriate in front of children as I don't feel that children should be allowed to swear........just like some things are cheeky for a child to say but not for an adult. Also I don't feel it is respectful for ME to swear in everyday conversation with people. But when someone cuts in on me when I am driving or I drop somthing on my foot......it can feel really good to swear. Also in some films the swearing is totally appropritae to the storyline or the characters.

I also have an Irish friend with an incredibly thick accent who has 4 children and she uses the "f" word at least 3 times in every sentence and yet none of her cildren swear and it sounds perfectly normal. Noone would actually notice that she was swearing or find it disrespectful if they did notice.

So I was wondering what you all think.

Rose x

• AlexHall
    AlexHall

I love it! It feels good to be able to express what I feel with the words i choose to use. A "bad" word is only "bad" because we have given it that meaning. I say the things that seem to fit in the context, and if that´s a word thats regarded as a swear-word, fine by me :)

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

Well I do at times, but I try not to....I still cringe with the F word, coming out of a womans mouth..

h4o

• Rosey
    Rosey

h4o I know what you mean and yet I really think it depends on the person......I mean my friend is a woman and yet it sounds totally natural.......absolutely noone finds her language offensive.........it's more like she's saying "well or em" or something like that.

Thankfully Battlestar Gallactica provided us with a replacement "f" word which even the tv announcers were allowed to say before watershed. However I will not say it "for fear I may stumble some".....hahaha the memories. Anyway any BG fans out there will know what I mean.

Rose x

A true sci-fi geek.

• John Doe
    John Doe

Shit no I don't swear!

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I occasionally use swear words that are appropriate--in forums that it is not allowed, I simply use red X's after the first letter instead (so far, I have not had a problem with the administration for doing that). And I almost never use the N word, except to repeat something that was heard (like if someone uses it at a judicial hearing, for instance--where it only underscores the repugnancy of the religion).

It's the lesser words that I use now. There are quite a few words that the witlesses do not allow one to use that are just fine, even in the presence of children, in society. Things like a plain "damn" (without God), "crap", "puke", and the like are just fine these days. And even more absurd, I have heard that the words Gosh, Gee, Golly, Darn, and sometimes even Shoot are classified as swear words at the Kingdumb Hell. And I have heard of one incident where someone was rebuked for the word "pee" (as in a diaper), and told to use the proper formal term for it. As I see it, there is no harm in being a little less than British Victorian formal all the time.

• Tuesday
    Tuesday

The explatives that come out of my mouth when things go wrong are stuff of legend.

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

The Irish are natural swearers...

• Priest73
    Priest73

I love this:

Why f*ck is the Best Word in the English Language...
    by Who the f*ck Knows

Perhaps one of the most interesting and colorful words in the English language today is the word "f*ck".

It is a magical word which, just by its sound can describe pain, pleasure, love, and hate. In language, "f*ck" falls into many grammatical categories.

It can be used as a verb both transitive (John f*cked Mary) and intransitive (Mary was f*cked by John).

It can be an action verb (John really gives a f*ck),

a passive verb (Mary really doesn't give a f*ck),

and adverb (Mary is f*cking interested in John),

or as a noun (Mary is a terrific f*ck).

It can also be used as an interjection (f*ck! I'm late for my date with Mary).

It can even be used as a conjunction (Mary is easy, f*ck she's also stupid).

As you can see there are very few words with the overall versatility of the word f*ck.

Aside from its sexual connotations, this word can be used to describe many situations:

1. Greetings........."How the f*ck are ya?"

2. Fraud..............."I got f*cked by the car dealer."

3. Resignation......."Oh, f*ck it!"

4. Trouble............."I guess I'm f*cked now."

5. Aggression........."f*ck you!"

6. Disgust................"f*ck me."

7. Confusion............." What the f*ck....?"

8. Displeasure............"f*cking shit man..."

9. Lost........................"Where the f*ck are we?"

10.Disbelief..............."Unf*ckingbelievable!"

11.Retaliation............."Up your f*cking ass!"

12. Apathy................."Who really gives a f*ck?"

13. Suspicion............."Who the f*ck are you?"

14. Directions.............."f*ck off."

It can be maternal........"Motherf*cker!"

It can be used to tell time......."It's four f*cking twenty!"

It can be used as an anatomical description............."He's a f*cking asshole."

Lastly, it has been used by many notable people throughout history:

"What the f*ck was that?" -Mayor of Hiroshima

"That's not a real f*cking gun." -John Lennon

"Where the f*ck is all this water coming from?" -Captain of the Titanic

"Who the f*ck is gonna find out?" -Richard Nixon

"Heads are gonna f*cking roll." -Anne Boleyn

"Any f*cking idiot could answer that." -Albert Einstein

"It does so f*cking look like her!" -Picasso

"You want what on the f*cking ceiling?" -Michaelangelo

"f*ck a duck." -Walt Disney

"Houston, we have a big f*cking problem." - The crew of Apollo 13

• JustHuman14
    JustHuman14

What the f*ck is this question? For sure I don't f*ucking swearing....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit