Forget all of the stages: Denial, Anger, Sadness - Don't you sometimes just feel STUPID for having believed in the Organization?

by BonaFide 48 Replies latest jw friends

• ziddina
    ziddina

Nah, I was BEATEN into it from the age of 5...

What I DO feel stupid about, though, is the fact that the beatings and mind-control kept me from realizing I could/should have walked away from it - and my hateful parents - on my eighteenth birthday...

Whee! EDIT function! What AllTimeJeff said... The WTBTS has decades - one might even say over 100 years' worth - practice in FOOLING people and LYING to them so as to control them. That reduces my feelings of stupidity...

Zid

• villabolo
    villabolo

I was fourteen and naive.

villabolo

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga
    Outlaw said: If you were born into the Jehovah`s Witness Cult.....And.....Found your way out..There is no Reason to feel Stupid................OUTLAW

Hear, hear! I wholeheartedly concur. I think we are all AMAZING, we beat incredible odds stacked against us. We found our own minds! Hooray for us!

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

I was 17 when I started studying and got baptized...I did it so my family would love me again.

• BonaFide
    BonaFide

So at least I don't feel THAT stupid, so many on here went through the same thing. One of the posters made a comment a few days ago that I really like. He said that not only are you raised in the JW way, you also see at the Kingdom Hall people dressed in suits, people you respect, and you think, "How could all of them be wrong?"

BF

• loosie
    loosie

Yes now that I am smart and left the borg, I feel stupid for having been in it.

But then I console myself with the thought that I met my DH while in the clutches of the borg. So some good came out of it.

• runningonfaith
    runningonfaith

RUBBET IN, THANKS

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

BonaFide,

Yeah, I used to feel stupid sometimes. But I've stopped beating myself up over it. My grandparents were tricked into following "WT Cult, Inc." about 70 years ago. I can't bring myself to call them "stupid". They weren't stupid. They were really, very good people... who were easily misled because of their desire for a better world and a better life.

The world is full of smart people that have done stupid stuff. As I've opened up about some of my life to non-dub friends, they've helped put things in perspective for me. Certainly, there are much more stupid things that I could have done. One of my newer friends, a policeman, told me this evening about the stupid people doing stupid stuff that he has to deal with. Wow, I'm not so stupid after all. Or suppose you were really "smart", imagine getting that degree, great career, working hard your entire life and investing your entire life savings and retirement nest-egg with Bernie Madoff. Ouch.

I hope this helps you feel at least a little smarter now, BF.

B the X

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

At the time I became a witless, I had no way to access alternate sources for information. All the information I got came from the Washtowel Babble and Crap Slaveholdery, and it seemed that it was getting very close. But, once time passed and the message stayed the same, I began to wonder if it was coming at all or if it was a scam--or if Jehovah was waiting for me to step outside the organization so I would be destroyed.

Then I realized that I would be better off outside the organization, whether or not it was the truth. Once I hit that point, it made no difference whether the apostates were right or wrong--I would be better off outside either way, and I know that apostasy is the most blatant way to step out of the organization (unless, that is, one of those cockroaches takes it upon themselves to forcibly host me and separate me from my apostate web sites and Ouija boards).

• TreadClimberMaster
    TreadClimberMaster

Don't feel stupid, take it for what it is. I felt stupid for a time, but have had to get over it. It is not worth it. Also, remember, your so called friends are only conditional friends. This group does not foster true friendships.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit