Mandatory voting in USA

by Sour Grapes 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Sour Grapes
    Sour Grapes

I am sure that President Obama's saying today that mandatory voting in the USA would be a good thing is going to get the Witnesses all excited as they look forward to being persecuted for not voting. Just another sign showing how deep we are into the times of the end and how close they are to burying billions of people who don't read the Watchtower.

Sour Grapes

• the comet
    the comet
    Yeah, mandatory voting is never going to happen. Here in Oregon a "motor voter" law was just passed. Now if you have any interaction with DMV, you are automatically registered to vote. Also in Oregon we do all voting by mail. So now witnesses will be receiving a ballot in the mail during elections. Makes it pretty easy to vote without anyone finding out, I've been doing it for years!
  • JeffT
    JeffT
    I'm sure that the witnesses will get all worked up over it. I also think its a bad idea and probably unconstitutional. If people don't have enough motivation to vote they likely don't have the motivation to find out anything useful about either the issues or candidates. And If some one has some reason not to vote (I disagree with the WTBS position on this, but they are free to think what they want) the government ought not to force them into participating in the process.
  • NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

Mandatory voting will never happen, I don't think that Obama was suggesting that he was going to actively promote this. He was making a point - and I think an interesting one.

That said, I agree with your assessment Sour, his comment will be viewed as additional proof that the end is near.

• blondie
    blondie

There is mandatory voting in Australia but you can ask to be excepted.

What is a valid and sufficient reason for not voting?

It is at the discretion of the Divisional Returning Officer for each electorate to determine what is a valid and sufficient reason for not voting.

See Electoral backgrounder – compulsory voting

http://www.aec.gov.au/faqs/voting_australia.htm

Valid and sufficient reasons

40. The original decision of the DRO as to whether a reason for not voting is valid and sufficient is based on the merits of each individual case, in accordance with the law as previously interpreted by the courts.

41. Under s 245(14) of the Electoral Act or s 45(13A) of the Referendum Act the fact that an elector believes it to be a part of his or her religious duty to abstain from voting constitutes a valid and sufficient reason for not voting.

• pixel
    pixel
    Stupid idea from the POTUS.
  • stillin
    stillin
    The best reason I have heard for there not to be a mandatory vote is that the 60% of the people who haven't been bothered to concern themselves will then actually vote! Who are they? What kind of political platform will they pay attention to? Does the country really WANT their vote? Probably not. Better leave it alone.
  • _Morpheus
    _Morpheus
    As predicted, this caused a small stir here in washington dc among faithful dubbies. When i pointed out the branch long ago had addressed this by saying that you would show up, go in the booth and write in "jesus" and call it a day they (three of them I was speaking with) actually looked deflated. They wanted the persecution amd seriously felt this was aimed at jw's. It made my head hurt the rest of the day.
  • WTWizard
    WTWizard

Mandatory voting is a bad idea because it does not address the problem with corrupt races. You rig the election, people lose interest. Stop allowing the elections to be rigged, stop allowing political correctness to prevail, stop limiting choices to two lamestream politicians where everyone else is culled, you might get better voluntary turnout. As for the jokehovians, I believe back in 1999 they were allowed to vote but they could simply put whatever they want on that ballot. Placing a favorite or someone that has no chance of winning would be an option.

And who elected the scumbags in the Federal Reserve and all the agencies that seem to be running this country instead of Congress? Voting in a good president would not solve those issues. Look at what happened to the last truly good president (a Democrat, unlike the DUMP-o-CRAPs we have today), John F. Kennedy. He tried running the country the way it should have been run, and got shot for doing this. And where was the war that should have ensued against the Rothschilds that were responsible?

• Mad Irishman
    Mad Irishman
    The Republicans are in power. Mandatory voting isn't happening. The far ring passed almost 500 laws in the last few years making it harder to vote. They don't want it easier to vote!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit