'The Assembly days'

by jolly_green_giant 19 Replies latest jw friends

• WindRider
    WindRider

Hi Running Man,

I can remember one 8day assembly at least; it was at Dodger Stadium and my mother had the three of us, my sister being just a baby, to take care of. I also remember that they were from early morning until evening, ending around 8-9:oopm. I dont know how she did it! I guess because you were expected to do it. By the time you had heard yet another example of a poor sister across the world who had swam the Amazon and then proceeded to walk for two weeks straight just to attend her "local" assembly, you just didnt feel you had any room to complain. :)
    I do have fond memories of the assemblies tho'; particularly the snacks......when it is 100+ degrees out in the smoggy, hot sun you've gotta love those giant sno-cones!

Ah, the good ol' days- not!

Sincerely, Windrider

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

LOL@ "Please keep moving" signs and "the elderly sister that had to cross the crocadile infested rivers and walk for 2 weeks to get to get to an assembly".

It is bad when you are in a group that tells you everything you do including to "keep moving".. LOL

Path

• Mulan
    Mulan

I remember the convention in Vancouver, BC, in 1969. It was an 8 day one, and I was pregnant with Princess (6 months). The session started about 1:30 in the afternoon, and broke for dinner and then went from about 6:30 until 9. We got there one day after noon, found seats for the 4 of us, and I went to get in line to get food. My husband stayed with the boys (3 and 5), to save the seats. I kept getting pushed to the back of the line, by crowders, who would give me the dirtiest looks when I said they were crowding. So, there I was, pregnant, hungry with hungry little boys, and I couldn't get through the line at the refreshment stand. Just as I got near the front of the line, they closed it. I knocked on the door, that they had slid down to close, and told them I had to eat, or I would be ill. They wouldn't open, and just said they were sorry. WHY did we stay with that insane organization??? I went back to the seats, in tears, and my husband was so angry. He went to the attendants, and they told him there was a store across the street, so he went to the store and bought food, and I made sandwiches on my lap during the talks. I was so upset though. I still remember how awful that was.

And then there was the convention in Poland. I remember the first time I went out to use the bathroom. As I went in, a sister handed me a bucket of water. I had to pour it into the toilet to flush it. But it was okay. At least I didn't have to sit on the bucket, which I thought she meant, at first.

Marilyn (a.k.a. Mulan)

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Oh Mulan I felt so bad for you when reading what you went through - so glad you are out

I remember the 8-day assembly in New York at Yankee Stadium. Thought it was awesome to get so many people to sing and drown out the bad singers

BUT>>> I also remember having to stay in someone's cockroach infested house and how we had to pile all our suitcases on the bed and then spray around it to hopefully not get them in our suitcases. Also remember watching the woman who lived there eat her supper and flicking roaches out of her plate like they were flies. Ugh. I still cannot fathom how anyone would have thought that place was acceptable for a mother with 4 kids.

I always roamed when I could. Later on learned sign language and interpreted - and it is pretty hard to focus on the material when you are just making sure you get it all out before they move on to something else. Think that alone got me through the last few years I was in. I certainly wasn't going for the spiritual food.

Speaking of food - most of it was horrendous especially the last few years I went. I started bringing our own.

Last time I went I took a girlfriend of mine and we went so I could show her what it was like. The mind control/guilt-inducing was clearly evident and what really grabbed me was how everyone was dressed the same way - no individuality, no personality - no self

• betweenworlds
    betweenworlds

Yup, remember the assembly days! They were 4 days for the district convention and 2 days for the circuit assembly all the time I was growing up. Taking notes, trying not to fall asleep. Staring at people across the way trying to see if you saw anyone you knew. Checking the program a zillion times, impatiently waiting for the lunch break. Getting up to go to the restroom, hoping you don't trip walking down the stairs lol! (The perils of spike heels on concrete steps) Had installing the sound system duty several times, and of course cleaning duty! yeehaw Watching people getting dunked during the break. All in all the assemblies weren't that bad I didn't think. Broke up the *normal* monotony of witless life.

betweenworlds

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

<<All in all the assemblies weren't that bad I didn't think. Broke up the *normal* monotony of witless life. - betweenworlds>>

Way better than going out in service

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

Mulan:

I was at that 1969 Vancouver assembly. Although I was only 7 at the time,
    there are still many vivid memories burned into my mind. Such as:

-Travelling 1000 miles in a 1969 Ford Custom 500 with 8 people. All of the
    luggage was in a roof rack.
    - Sleeping in a tent for the whole time. At 7, I thought that was pretty cool.
    But, I don't imagine my mother or older sisters were too thrilled.
    - Buying a fudgesycle at the concession stand at Empire Stadium and finding
    a ball bearing in it. (Were you at Empire Stadium or the Pacific Colloseum?)
    - Having the option of standing or sitting during the songs. About every 20th
    person stood, making them look very pious.
    - Crying during the closing song, because it was all over.

And biggest of all, next to the stadium, the PNE (Pacific National Exhibition)
    was running during the assembly. How could they do that to us?

By the way, a sister was killed at that assembly while taking a short cut accross
    the path of one of the rides next door.

• mole
    mole

How 'bout those "HOGIES and BURRITOS"!!!

• Princess
    Princess

I get indigestion just thinking about the hogies and burritos!

Mom, I hope I was nice to you while you were in line. I didn't mean to kick you so hard, I was trying to kick the crowders!

Princess

• Englishman
    Englishman

Bro Duffee was famous for saving himself a seat at assemblies, and got minty each time the attendants moved his stuff. No-one messed with George!

I heard that at his last circuit assembly, George took his briefcase along, propped it up on his selected seat, then wound sticky parcel tape round and round it AND the seat.

The attendants then left George alone.

Englisshman.

Bring on the dancing girls!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit