'The Assembly days'

by jolly_green_giant 19 Replies latest jw friends

• jolly_green_giant
    jolly_green_giant

Remember going to the 3 day assembly every summer, sitting for numerous exhausting hours on end? OF course you do!

Those were tough on me especially when i was really young and wasn't supposed to be roaming the convention center while the talks were being given. I couldn't beleive those pricks with the "please be seated" sings. (no offense to any here if you were one of them)
    I think i told one of them off, once i got older and rebelious.

At the end of the day i remember the "Apostates" outside the convention. I always wondered what the signs they were holding meant.(ie. The Watchtower Lies.. etc.) Well now i know.

Just wondering if any on this board ever 'protested' the WTS outside the assembly?

• joelbear
    joelbear

when I was a kid they were 4 days and every 5 years they were 5 days and one time it was 8 days.

AAAAAAH

Joel

• TR
    TR

I had the dubious distinction of being an "attendant" at one assembly. I had to chastise 'hovah's for putting their feet up on rails, laying coats over rails, making sure those in the restrooms only used 1 paper towel, etc. GOD I felt like a dweeb.

TR

I'm gonna make mince meat outta that Osama!

• jaded
    jaded

Always got perturbed when the restroom attendants told us ladies which stall to wait in front of. Surprised they didn't set a timer for us once we got in. Makes you wonder how we ever survive going to the bathroom at an amusement park or rock concert without such superior instruction.LOL.

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

I would like to complain about the parking attendants.

At every assembly, there is a lineup of at least 20 attendants
    waving you into a parking spot that is at the far end of the lot.
    Apparently, they fill them from back to front. Then, there is
    always a brother standing in your spot, waving you in. Actually,
    he appears to be daring me to pick him off with my bumper.

I don't know how I ever manage to park at the mall without them.

By the way, does anyone remember the old 8 day assemblies?
    Talk about adding new meaning to the phrase, "Be long suffering".

• dubla
    dubla

leaving the session early for volunteer "work", and cruising the assembly hall for chicks were the highlights for me......lowlights include mandatory note taking, and waking up to a stiff elbow as my head was suddendly disconnected from its resting place on my hand.

aa

• kenny2
    kenny2

Yes I do remember the 4 day assemblies. It was so good to have my entire summer vacation used to attend such a wonderful event. (barf)
    I always wore the volunteer badge myself to do food service. Great way to meet women and never had to listen to any of the crap going on inside. Never had to hold the 'please be seated' sign but I would bet those guys volunteered for that job for the same reason.

Kenny2

• rekless
    rekless

tr you were a dweeb.

• momoftwo
    momoftwo

Running Man-

I never did understand that...the late people get to park in front? Can you say, "military intelligence?"

mom

• joelbear
    joelbear

I liked being an attendant because we basically stood at the back and talked unless someone needed a seat.

I remember asking people not to save seats after the talks started and getting the meanest looks and comments back from people.

I hated the please keep moving guys. Because you knew there was no real reason to keep moving. The real message was, GO SIT DOWN AND LISTEN!!! I just couldn't take it. The talks were so boring and repetitive. Usually 3 or 4 talks on exactly the same subject over the course of a morning or afternoon.

For several years our congregation manned a concession stand which meant that there was almost constant work to do all day long and you didn't have to sit hardly at all.

The really good assemblies were in the late 60s and early 70s when they had so many people from other countries talking about being persecuted. Getting us ready for the tribulation. I remember some amazing stories whether they were true or exaggerated who knows.

Joel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit