Church of Christ vs. Jehovah's Witnesses

by Brocephus 12 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Brocephus
    Brocephus

I have a friend that joined Church of Christ a few years ago. They seem to be organized and behave very similar to the KH. Can anyone else elaborate and give and reasons or theories as to this parallel? They seem like nice folk but I am afraid if I ever went to a service I'd had flashbacks and end up convulsing on the floor with drool coming out of mouth.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Welcome to the forum!

I'm not familiar with the Church of Christ.

• wobble
    wobble

Does our country-music loving friend mean the LDS ?

love

Wobble

• StAnn
    StAnn

There is a program on EWTN (Catholic TV) that has interviews of people from other faith backgrounds, discussing their faith and the roots. Naturally, these are all converts to Catholicism.

Here is a link to an episode you can listen to. It has three Church of Christ members on it and is very informative about the Church of Christ's beliefs. It's about an hour long.

My mother was raised Church of Christ and I could never understand how she could become a JW since she was raised in a "real" Church. After listening to this interview, I understood my mother a little bit better. There are a LOT of similarities between the JWs and the Church of Christ.

http://ewtn.edgeboss.net/download/ewtn/audiolibrary/jh_06112007.mp3

HTH,

St. Ann

• Brocephus
    Brocephus

No not LDS, Church of Christ... They have a Body of Elders, no paid pastors. Small modest congos. Lots of literature from one internet source. They seem more autonomous that JW.

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

I grew up in Church of Christ from when I was 3 to 13. Nothing like JW, just the opposite. Autonomous congregations, minimalist doctrine that derives from scripture, without adding all kinds of speculation and contrived doctrine. None of that door knocking, obey the GB or endtime fire and brimstone rants. Actually a very sedate group. Their roots are with people who wanted to strip away traditions as much as possible and use scripture as a guide to emulate the church in the first century, even going so far as to not have instrumental music. They have no doctrine prohibiting masturbation or any sort of consensual marital sex. However, if you like a lot of ritual and liturgy, you might not want to go here.

Funny thing, my mom was studying with JWs when I was 3 and decided to go to CoC instead, so I owe them one for causing me to dodge that bullet.

There are several other groups that go by that name, or a variation of it. There is an offshoot associated with the Boston CoC that practices what they call shepherding. It is a control mechanism that involves a sort of morality police.

The wiki article is decent enough to give you an idea.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Churches_of_Christ

• yknot
    yknot

My husband's family on his dad's side are all CoC, and 2 of my great-aunts went that route too.

I would more akin them to the Bible Students in structure (autonomous). Many do have Sunday Schools, VBS, sponsor missionary work, kitchens, food pantry, bible classes and participate in state Bible Bees that result in scholarships to CoC based colleges.

They have 'shepherds', deacons and ministers. While many have women's ministries they don't use women to lead the worship service

The kitchen thing can be a sticking point for some CoCs while others require members to show proof of visiting local CoCs while traveling.

Many only sing acapella.

Generally speaking it all depends on the congregational personality.

Many very nice people.

• JustHuman14
    JustHuman14

Don't have a clue about them, but it seems to be another extreme Protestand group, among the thousands that exist in this movement

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

One more thing. They take communion EVERY WEEK and any one in good conscience may partake.

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

Do they teach the trinity, hellfire, bodily resurrection of Christ and other such nonsense? Yawn.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit