How Were You "Screwed" By The Organization?

by minimus 29 Replies latest jw friends

• garybuss
    garybuss

Write more about "the machine", the one without the people. I'm fascinated.

• professor
    professor

It's simple, really. They set up a closed society which operated as a dictatorship. They enticed my parents to join and I was dragged along. My youth was set up to only serve the organization and my life was built around people in the organization. Once I left, all of my friends that I was allowed to have were withdrawn from me. I was left out in the cold with a brain conditioned to view independant thinking as evil. I had to start life over as an 18-year-old infant. So they screwed me out of 18 years and my family.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

Screwed in the sense of being led to believe that the Corporation known as the WTB&TS actually has an interest in my personal well being. NOT!

• BonaFide
    BonaFide

I was treated great in the eyes of the Organization for many years. I was appointed early to positions, I was interviewed on many assemblies, I was accepted to MTS, then to a missionary assignment. Bethel paid for my surgeries, and airfare back to my assignment. They never sent me a bill, even after I left missionary service.

But then after I got back here, I was starting to get upset at some of the ridiculous hypocrisy of the body of elders. They hardly went in service, yet set super high standards for others. They hardly prepared for their parts, and yet criticized me for being too "colorful" in my teaching. I got on their case, and it backfired.

I changed congregations on advice from the D.O., and when I did, I was not recommended as an elder. I couldn't believe it.

They said I had "revealed confidential talk." No proof though.

It was so weird to see how the friends treated me after that. All the respect that I thought I had, down the drain. Some were still nice, but what a difference in the majority.

Yes, I felt "screwed." But that was another thing that got me to thinking.

Good thread.

BF

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

They did all they could to keep me celibate and exploit that--they wanted to get MY hands dirty on starting the Second Dark Ages to benefit them.

• minimus
    minimus

BF, it's interesting to see people lose their positions and then suddenly realize what a crock it all is!

Gary, the Org. is what makes it all work---just like the FDS. But try to define it perfectly. It's not that easy.

The Organization does have people in it. The higher you are up in the Org., the more imput you have. Maybe you like the word "machinations" better.

• minimus
    minimus

After reading the thread of the new drama, I say that the Organization screws you through guilt. They make people waste their time and talents through guilt. It's us vs. them. The Organization's mentality is to take everything away from you, strip you from your dignity.

• undercover
    undercover

Here's where Gary makes you think...

Was it the organization that "screwed" me? Or was it my parents, who believed in the organization? You can say ultimately it was the organization because they influenced my parents to fear and obey it, but should some blame be on the parents for allowing themselves to be manipulated to the degree that they were and allowing me to be raised in such an environment...

But at the same time, you can look at the parents as victims of the organization as I consider myself a victim. I was lucky enough to break away from the manipulation, where as they have not been able to.

In the end, I don't think I was "screwed" by either, in that life is full of decisions, some good, some bad. Even if I wasn't ever rasied a JW, who knows if I would have turned out okay? There's no way to know what "could" or "would" have happened. You just have to accept the cards you were dealt and play them the best you can.

As Phil said in the movie, The Big Kahuna, "I'm saying you've already done plenty of things to regret, you just don't know what they are. It's when you discover them, when you see the folly in something you've done, and you wish that you had it do over, but you know you can't, because it's too late. So you pick that thing up, and carry it with you to remind you that life goes on, the world will spin without you, you really don't matter in the end. Then you will gain character, because honesty will reach out from inside and tattoo itself across your face."

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

I wasn't really screwed by anyone but myself. I'm the one that allowed me and my family to become a JW. My only thought here would be deception but that is only because I didn't do my homework first.

• VIII
    VIII

So can everyone on this thread sue them?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit