Depression is a way of life for JW's

by butalbee 43 Replies latest watchtower medical

• butalbee
    butalbee

The more I studied, the more I got sucked into being a witness, the more depressed I've become. I don't want to do anything anymore, I mean what is the sense: the end of days is upon us! The more I became involved with witnesses, the more I felt that I was loosing a part of myself. I felt as though they were trying to control my conduct, what was acceptable to wear, what was appropriate behavor to interact with other people, and basically ever aspect of my personality. I did not like this person that they were trying to make me become.
    Every witness I know is on an antidepressant--why is that?
    Including myself now.
    Why did I let this happen to me?

• Erich
    Erich

butalbee

Every witness I know is on an antidepressant--why is that?
    Including myself now...
    This is no characteristic symptom for JW's. Same happens to nonJW's and exJW's ! Depressions are symptom for the disease of the whole World's system.
    What I would commit to you is: Watch and observe the situation inside and outside of JW's Org, and wait until changes! If you still are JW, please do not leave the Org! Only if we are part of the Org, we can undertake something to get things better. Fight against injustice! Jehovah will stay at the side of the brave and righteous ones!
  • Gopher
    Gopher

Why fight the inevitable? Why try to make a man-made organization work?

The situation among JW's is now very much like Isaiah 1:5,6 says:

Where else will YOU be struck, in that YOU add more revolt? The whole head is in a sick condition, and the whole heart is feeble. From the sole of the foot even to the head there is no sound spot in it....
    This is why many JW's suffer from depression. There can be no dancing around the issue -- they have attached themselves to a sick body!

If there are joyful JW's, it is IN SPITE of being a Witness, surely not BECAUSE of belonging.

GopherWhy shouldn't truth be stranger than fiction? Fiction, after all, has to make sense.
    Mark Twain (1835-1910)

edited to correct the spelling

• NameWithheld
    NameWithheld

butalbee: The end all cure? Get out as fast as you can. Do some searches through this site, we have talked many times in the past about the large # of people in the JW religion that suffer severe depressive problems (and also about things like Chronic Fatigue/Fibromyalgia, etc which in my reseach are probably related in some ways to depresive problems). It is a oft-repeated, common observation among MANY JWs/x-JWs that the JWs seem to suffer from a much higher than normal instances of these.

Some things I think factor into this problem are a) the constant pressure to do more, more, more (preaching/meetings/study/please elders), b) the constant pressure one puts on themselves to be 'perfect' lest they sin and die at the big "A", c) the guilt trips laid upon you at every meeting and by freinds/family that you're not good enough, not doing enough, etc, and finally d) the downright weird freindship system in JWs whereby you run constant risk of losing freinds if you make a mistake or become viewed as a 'weak' one.

• alliwannadoislive
    alliwannadoislive

i totally echo namewithelds post - and it's not until you are standing in the full sunshine that you realise how dark it was back there

leave butal - if you haven't already - get out of there and move on to a 'normal' life - everything you believe - ask yourself why you believe it ? cos you were told to ?

mindchild posted a fantastic few thoughts on mental viruses - reading posts like that can help you to sort out what you really want as opposed to what others have decided you will have - welcome to here - your 'post-mind control' life ...

• Farkel
    Farkel

Erich,

As usual, you skirt the real issues and substitute nonsense:

: This is no characteristic symptom for JW's. Same happens to nonJW's and exJW's !

Strawman. Numerous studies have shown that JWs BY FAR suffer from more mental illness and depression than other religions. Why is that, Erich? Could it be the simple fact the JW life is one of the most depressing and miserable lives one could live? JWs live their entire lives looking forward to the greatest genocide on the history of this planet, and in fear that they could be part of it. JWs can never do enough to please their religious masters.

: Depressions are symptom for the disease of the whole World's system.

Baloney. Prove it.

: What I would commit to you is: Watch and observe the situation inside and outside of JW's Org, and wait until changes!

Once again, you miss the point. The REAL question is "why did God allow it to get and stay this way inside the Org. for almost eight decades?"

: If you still are JW, please do not leave the Org!

Yeah: stay in the Org. and stay miserable and continue to be abused by people who couldn't really care less about you. Great advice, Erich.

: Only if we are part of the Org, we can undertake something to get things better.

The plain truth is, and especially compared with other Christian religions, the JW religion has done almost NOTHING to "undertake something" to get things better. They just sell books and magazines that are today's "truth" and tomorrow's "apostacy." They just recruit more members to be miserable and downtrodden just like themselves.

: Fight against injustice!

Nice slogan, but exactly HOW do you propose that be done, Erich?

: Jehovah will stay at the side of the brave and righteous ones!

Translation: "Jehovah will stay at the side of those who continue to remain in our cult. TRUST me!"

Rubbish. All of it.

Farkel

"I didn't mean what I meant."

• Erich
    Erich

farkel:

I don't know the background in your life.
    I don't know why you became an atheist, evolutionist, nihilist, with hatred against God and world and JW's and "dubs" and all type of religion and ideology and maybe with hatred against yourself too..

I am curious to hear your story. Maybe some traumatic accident and injustice had made you so hating.

The problem is, that hate and fanaticism cannot make the things go better in this world. Neither - (yes, it's disappointing!) - hate in the eyes of some "elder" (JW's) nor in the eyes of antagonists.

butalbee - if she is a JW, and get depressions: she probably can get out of the depressions if she leaves the org; at least for a while (if she becomes treated with injustice and stupidity, e.g. by an elder...)

But you?
    I am sure you will get the same depressions in your life, but in a much more terrible manner. If the world is treating you with injustice (what certainly will happen!), and you get frustrated and depressed, where will you go then ??

• larc
    larc

Erich,

I have read many accounts on this board where people related their stories. The majority of them were much happier after they left the religion. Many had their depression lifted once they were out of the oppressive system that is the Watchtower.

Erich, I can't speak for Farkel, but I suspect that he, like many here do not hate God, or JWs. We hate a system that stifles people and creates a mentally unhealthy environment for them.

• JanH
    JanH

erich,

Feel free to explain how an atheist can "hate god". Take your time.

I also should point out that to Nietzsche it was Christianity, not atheism that was nihilism. And he coined the term.

- Jan
    --
    "Doctor how can you diagnose someone with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and then act like I had some choice about barging in here right now?" -- As Good As It Gets

• butalbee
    butalbee

I am not a JW, I was baptizied catholic when I was very young. I am or was studying, going to meetings, going door to door with JW's, and attending bible studies to please the family of the man who I love. I love him with all my heart, but after all I learned, what was crammed inside my head, all the religious convictions to live up to, to be this perfect human. I am not a JW YET, and they are already controlling every facet of my existence, what is right or wrong in Jehovah's eyes. Even my "dates" are being monitored, and I can't be alone with him or see him at inappropriate times or places. It's like being in a prison. THE TRUTH AS I SEE IT: ONLY PRISON'S HAVE WATCHTOWERS. I grew up loving God, not fearing his wrath, and believing Jesus is the savior, And maybe even more importantly, which I think is part of what is making me so depressed--my soul. I have a soul, not by any means immortal, but by all means an who I am on the inside, what I feel, the person I am.
    My bible is not worded the same as theirs, some of the changes are subtle but isnn;t their something in the book of Revelations warning man who alter the word of God?? JW is a manmade religion, and this new light theory is a bunch of bullshit.
    And as much as I love this man who I have been seeing for the past year or so, I can't become a witness. I'd rather die on a stake myself. And I told him how I feel, now it's his turn to compromise a part of himself or beliefs for me, if he can't, he's not worth it. It's all up to him now, as far as I'm concerned I'm done with him and the brainwashing. I need to find my sanity.
    Tonight, was my last meeting. I spoke to the elders and they wanted me to seek the help of a ministral servant--what the hell is that???????? I told them what I really needed was a catholic priest and an exorism.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit