Were there any "dynasties" in your congregation?

by truthseeker 17 Replies latest jw friends

• lancelink
    lancelink

barrington Illinois had the Scott clan ruling for quite a number of years.

• crapola
    crapola

In a neighboring congregation the clan was made up of the mother and 3 daughters. They controlled and still try to control just about everything.

• blondie
    blondie

Yes, in fact one died this day. I belong to a dynasty in this area as well. But the generations below me are thinning out. Fewer and fewer jws the age my children would be are staying in or stepping up to the plate. This generational stranglehold is more evident in smaller congregations where there is only one congregation in a large area and few new people move in.

Blondie

• villabolo
    villabolo

This generational stranglehold is more evident in smaller congregations where there is only one congregation in a large area and few new people move in.

What constitutes a small congregation nowadays? What is the average number of publishers per congregation?

• blondie
    blondie

Due to the distance people have to drive to a KH with a large spread out territory, in my experience, these tend to be 75 or less publishers. The nearest congregation tends to be 35 to 40 miles away. This is much different than being in an urban area with 10 to 20 congregations within 30 to 40 miles. In the first scenario, people tend to move less and congregation members tend to be static and everyone tends to be related by blood or marriage.

Blondie

• ziddina
    ziddina

The Berean wrote: "... Family heads in control of the congregation make sure that their impressionable children are publically praised and featured as often as possible in demonstrations, planned comments, assembly parts, etc..."

"and if Dad has enough money to help the newlyweds buy a house, the deal is almost aleays permanently sealed.

The sad part is that those in the congregation without such sponsorship are ignored and forgotten ..."

Or they succeed in escaping... Zid

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

It was chilling reading the Berean's comments as that is EXACTLY my brother's dynasty.

He bought houses and businesses for the "faithful" children and has frozen out the others completely. Also did a fantastic job of covering his kids misdemeanors as they grew up.

Ahhh the elders ol' boys club

• wavvy
    wavvy

I am from a family that might qualify as one of your "dynasties". And let me tell you: the kids do not like the attention! I used to beg and cry not to have to go up on the stage. Hated having to be in every assembly part and demonstration. My dad (as much as I love him) was terrible for putting me on the spot. I was always a bit shy. Would rather have stayed quietly in a corner.

As for buying us houses! Ha ha ha ha ha! If only!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit