My daughter is getting baptized tomorrow...

by mostlydead 10 Replies latest jw experiences

• mostlydead
    mostlydead

Her father is going to her convention, but I'm not. I know this hurts her and it makes me feel sick on so many different counts. I have a good reason not to go, it's 2 weeks before graduation and I really don't have time even to be writing this. I didn't use that as an excuse though. I feel horrible. For not being there, for raising her this way, because even though she knows the crap that's gone on in our family and by extension the congregation, she's still making this decision, for adding another wall between her and my husband and me, because they think I'm dead meat and I would have thought the same a few years ago. I can't go back there. Not for her or him. She's 28, she put the decision off for a long time but recently has found a social circle at her hall and I suppose she was "encouraged" to get with the program.

I told her that I understood her decision, and that all I asked was that she keep her eyes and mind open. See what you see my darling. And I told her that since the majority of her family is not active any longer (in fact, her dad is the only one left) that if she ever changed her mind, she didn't have to fear being shunned by her family at any rate. I hope she'll think about that as she's pressured to avoid contact with the rest of us now.

• AWAKE&WATCHING
    AWAKE&WATCHING

Ouch....HUGS

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

The good thing is that she is still talking to you. Let's hope that doesn't change. Let's hope that some of her other views and actions do.

Hugs and good luck on finals to you. Be good to yourself.

Love,
    Baba.

• mostlydead
    mostlydead

Thanks...I appreciate the hug and kind words. Nice to know there are people who understand.

• k9groomer
    k9groomer

I got baptized in a Baptist church earlier this year. I never was baptized as a JW and I invited my JW mom to come. Of course she couldn't because it was another church-SIN.... Lots of other ppl had ppl there, one girl had 45 friends/family show up. Penecostal ppl were there. It really hurt me that my mom couldn't see past her religion to watch or support me even if she disagreed. It's obviously your decision BUT think about it maybe. I didn't go to the memorial for the first time, but it was kind of in retaliation for her not going to the baptism and maybe I should've been the bigger person and attended. I would have been able to keep sane lol

Best of luck I know it's a sticky and sad situation......

• Sweet Honey
    Sweet Honey

I will pray for u that your daughter never gets her head so indoctrinated i was 15 years old and became pregnate my whole family turned their back on me My mom evicted me from her home and i was never baptized.I just get so upset that people truly believe that that is the true religion They dont live by the bible they live by man quote ORGANIZATION.it took 5 year before i got to speak to my mom again I will pray that the lord touches her mind and heart and also your husbands to see that this is such false religion don't ever loose faith in god because of what man is doing.

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Wish you the best....I could kidnap her for you!

• garybuss
    garybuss

I was baptized when I was 12 years old as an consequence of pressure from my parents. My motive was compliance . . . nothing else. It was just like meetings and service. The baptism was just another meeting . . . with a bath.

I see adult children of Witness parents getting baptized by conviction and by commitment. Maybe it's a submission to the subconscious quieting of the voices of cognitive dissonance, a result of years of conditioning, but they're sincere. The same people often exit the group due to social setbacks or rejection.

My point is, in my experience, what got them in, won't keep them in.

In my opinion, one rational parent is a HUGE influence on children. It makes a well paved road for the future. Don't despair.

• mostlydead
    mostlydead

Thank you all so much...

k9groomer, I thought about what you said and it helped. I called my daughter this afternoon to see how it went and general chat about how many were there and baptized. No sense in being unreasonable.

garybuss, thank you. I hope and feel that what you say is true.

• whatcanIsay
    whatcanIsay

I think this is a fading moment! It is kind of nice to have all that fake attention from others!

At least you will be there to help her when her friends reject her!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit