Interesting blog post about JWs knocking on a door

by passwordprotected 14 Replies latest jw friends

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

http://kristievosper.typepad.com/honestlyspeaking/2009/05/jehovahs-witnesses-and-a-better-approach-at-opening-the-door.html

(Sorry, can't make it clickable in Safari 4).

Jehovah's Witnesses and a better approach at opening the door.

Since I just moved into my house, I had my first Jehovah's Witness visit this morning. I suppose along with the junk mail filled with offers from dentists, chiropractors, landscapers, and pest control guys the religious groups also know when someone knew has come to town. They invited me to come and join them for some event coming up. I've had several friends and neighbors while I was growing up who were members of this religious group. I've been a longstanding target for one family who tried for years to convert me. They were all totally lovely people. Growing up in Burbank for me was sometimes hard as a christian. The mormans and the jehovah's witnesses were pretty safe for me because at least we were all in the same boat of trying to be good kids loving our God and following some sort of set of rules. I found myself less likely to be asked to smoke out or do any number of things a 7th grader shouldn't do, if I was with one of these folks. However, the more I know about the JW's the more i think it's a bit creepy (have you walked the brooklyn bridge?) and damaging to those who believe...I feel sorry for the women, for the no celebrating holidays, for the limited number of people they think are getting into heaven which means I also feel sorry for the way they don't know the fullness of God's deep love and grace.

However, this said, I don't think it helps to get into huge arguments at your front door to convince them they're "wrong". I said "thank you, I'm a christian and I actually work in ministry Malibu Presbyterian Church. I respect what you are doing and that you're passionate about what you believe, but I won't be joining you for your event. I hope you enjoy this beautiful day!"
    One of the woman who I think was a new recruit looked lovingly at me and thanked me. The other was cold and shut off the minute she got wind that I as a practicing protestant christian. (Jehovah's Witnesses consider themselves christians, so I am trying to be specific here)
    I thought about why she shut down so quickly. Had she been harassed by 100 other Christians who took the opportunity while this lady was on their doorstep to harass and argue with her? Or, was she believing that I wasn't any longer of interest to her so her kindness was wasted on me, who would most certainly not be included in the 144,000? I'll tell you...if that's all that is going to get into heaven I still wonder what in the world they're doing out recruiting. I think it would make much more sense to practice like the Buddhists do and just do your thing and hope to make it to the top of the class. Just seems logical to me.
    I thought though, what if every time a JW met a Protestant Christian they experienced an outpouring of love. Would that make her less likely to shut down?
    What if this was our approach with everyone. Less arguing. More love.
    What if we really worked hard at being "known as Christians by our LOVE"?
    I think I handled the situation at the door well today...but I have had a history of arguing (ask some of my friends I went to middle school with) and I am not as concerned with doing so any more. I answer when I'm asked...and ask questions that help others dive deeper and re-examine their thinking...but argue because I feel it's my christian duty? Nah. Not interested. ----- As you'd expect, we get the usual apologist comments....
  • Johnnytwofeet
    Johnnytwofeet

My heart is always warmed when I hear one cult's personal experiences with another cult.

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

Protestantism is a cult?

• Johnnytwofeet
    Johnnytwofeet

THey're all cults. Especially the ones saying they're not cults. This of course means teh ones proclaiming they ARE cults are likely not.

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

What cult are you in? And don't say you're not, because by saying you're not you actually mean that you are; you just don't realise it yet.

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

I"m not a Cult but you are.....I have the "TRUTH"........

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving
    However, this said, I don't think it helps to get into huge arguments at your front door to convince them they're "wrong". I said "thank you, I'm a christian and I actually work in ministry Malibu Presbyterian Church. I respect what you are doing and that you're passionate about what you believe, but I won't be joining you for your event. I hope you enjoy this beautiful day!"
    One of the woman who I think was a new recruit looked lovingly at me and thanked me. The other was cold and shut off the minute she got wind that I as a practicing protestant christian. (Jehovah's Witnesses consider themselves christians, so I am trying to be specific here)

a breezy protestant - not surprising the dub was cold

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

a breezy protestant - not surprising the dub was cold

lol, well put; "breezy protestant".

• Olin Moyles Ghost
    Olin Moyles Ghost

The following quote is interesting:

Or, was she believing that I wasn't any longer of interest to her so her kindness was wasted on me, who would most certainly not be included in the 144,000? I'll tell you...if that's all that is going to get into heaven I still wonder what in the world they're doing out recruiting.

The blogger seems to be under the impression that JWs believe that only 144,000 will be saved. My experience is that quite a few non-JWs have this misunderstanding of the 144,000 doctrine.

Just another example of how even though they spend 1.5 billion hours per year "preaching," the message just isn't getting out. What does your average "worldly" person know about the Witnesses? Not much, but if anything it's probably one or more of the following: (1) no holidays/birthdays; (2) no blood transfusions; (3) no military/patriotic stuff; (4) door-to-door canvassing.

Do they know that the JWs' central message is God's Kingdom? My experience is no. Thus, if the JWs have this great commission to preach the good news of God's kingdom, it seems to me that they are failing. Further, it seems that their weird beliefs (many of which have little support in scripture) overshadow their "kingdom message."

• boyzone
    boyzone

I had the very same thought this morning Olin. I saw 2 sisters walking along a street in the ministry (they couldn't've moved any slower if they tried!) and it struck me how little impact the witnesses have on the people in the locality. Do you remember how all the info at the meeting was to big-up the work and the H-U-G-E effect we were having in giving a "greats shout of praise" to Jehovah? How the door to door was reaching the hearts of "so many" and we were the only ones putting the kingdom first?

Yet as I saw these bored, plodding sisters knocking on empty homes, then observing all the people that were busy with their daily lives that passed these sisters without a word, the total lack of impact their message was having was obvious. It suddenly made me feel very sad for these 2 sisters and the thousands like them that totally waste their counted time on a work so ineffective and pointless.

I could only stand and wonder what on earth joe public really thought of this strange little religion. My guess is that a few have a rough idea about their odder beliefs (blood, no christmas, birthdays etc) but in the main, they haven't a clue about the kingdom message.

Why? I suppose you could blame it on the public for not listening at the door, the witnesses would use this excuse. But to be fair I don't think this is right. The blame must lie with the insipid way the message is conveyed. The public mags are simpering and patronizing and take a long time to get to the point-if ever. The witnesses are not trained to get to the point either and its ages before the kingdom message is conveyed, if at all. They carry a bible but often don't bother using it but resort to WT literature instead. Many a time I pioneered and spoke to no-one, didn't get my bible out once and placed no literature, but still counted the time.

In amongst all this you have a householder who's busy, got a job to go to, or tea to cook. They want the witnesses to GET TO THE POINT of why they're there.

No wonder the message is lost. (If its the right message at all!!) There's far too much waffle.

But if you're counting time, its best to waffle just as much as its best to walk slow. In your own eyes, Job done.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit