What crazy demonstrations did you see on the Service Meeting?

by BonaFide 27 Replies latest jw friends

• musky
    musky

"I remember dressing up as a "harlot" for a demonstration. Wore scarlet stockings and rolled my skirt to above the knee and had on tonnes of mascara."

Did any in the congregation ask for an encore?

• BonaFide
    BonaFide

I remember one in one of the congregations when I was in Bethel. The brother giving the part was a Bethelite, and it was the night of the C.O. visit.

The brother said, "We will begin the News Conference." Suddenly several in the audience shouted out loud, "Mr. Chairman! Mr. Chairman!" until he called on one of them. They stood up and said, "Is it true that Jehovah's Witnesses do not take blood transfusions?" The brother answered his question, then again a few shouted, "Mr. Chairman, Mr. Chairman!" The next question was,"Well if you don't take blood, would you let your child die?" So he answered that one with the standard WT answer.

It was pretty exciting, I have to admit, and the C.O. said he liked it.

BF

• outbackaussie
    outbackaussie

@ Musky - No, I actually got counselled for having red stockings available. Go figure. I also got counselled for wearing a dress that showed a little bit of my shoulders, it had like cutaways in the fabric, but certainly was generous in its cover, but an elder's wife told me that if I had worn it in the israelite's day I would have been stoned to death. I actually wore the dress on the day of my baptism too :) I will find a photo and post it up, still makes me giggle to think about that. Was a rebel even when I was getting baptised.

Ok, found the photo :)

Photo from baptism

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

Geez OBA that woman beside you looks familiar!! Were you in Sydney at the time?

• outbackaussie
    outbackaussie

Yes, that was the October 1987 DC, and that woman was standing next to me in the line to get dunked. We chatted as we waited our turn and exchanged contact details, she sent me that photo which was taken post dunk. I will find the actual photos later (that was a scan from my photo album) and check what her name was and PM you if you like. She was in Sydney suburbs, inner west I think. I was living north, Gosford area then.

• blondie
    blondie

In the early 70's the demos at the service meeting were over the top; then we had a special needs talk (shortly after the CO visit) saying:

*** km 9/77 p. 7 par. 5 Making Service Meetings Interesting ***

Demonstrations should instruct, not entertain.

• zombie dub
    zombie dub
    I also got counselled for wearing a dress that showed a little bit of my shoulders

STONE HER, STONE HER! GODS STANDARDS DO NOT CHANGE!!!!

I once did a presentation in french pretending to be a foreign householder so someone could use that booklet with all the different languages in.

I couldn't realy speak french, just the odd word and mumbled "alor, blah blah, la le, blah, alor" a lot.

• carla
    carla

I'm sorry you guys, I mean no offense but really! they sound like plays 3rd & 4th graders would come up with. Have you ever volunteered at a local school where the kids get to put on plays & speeches? they come out much like the ones described here.

The lady who puts on hat to avoid recognition must have gotten the idea from either the asleep or wt that had a story about a lady who changed her sweater or took it off for the same reason.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit