Were there 200 JW's disfellowshipped in 1980 all at once - in Cleveland, Ohio?

by BonaFide 41 Replies latest jw friends

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I agree with those who speculate that the number is exaggerated and also that the "sin" wasn't of a sexual nature for the majority of those DFd.

• ptt7000
  • ptt7000
    ptt7000

I just saw this older post on www.christianwitnesses.com. I turned in the one elder that was a pedophile (severe). I spoke by phone with him at his committee meeting and was told to see if he could get some mental help. HE TOLD ON EVERYONE! Elders knew about him after a CO told them of a confession from the child. They did nothing because they were all engaged in sex even pioneeers were DF'd. BTW He was an avid video man for a major oil company. He had equipment that was awesome. The oil company paid him off and dismissed him as he was a pedophile in a school where they sponsored a spanish program. I know details of this event. I don't know if it was 200 but it was considerable. I have spoke of this on sixscreens once. It was kept hush hush.

• sir82
    sir82

I can definitely remember "scare stories" from the platform at circuit assemblies in the early to mid 80's regarding some sort of situation in Cleveland involving lots of kids.

I never found out any details, and never talked to anyone who knew of any details either.

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

We had a similar experience at our A$$embly in 1980, only it happened in California.

Stinkin' Gibbering Buddy spoiling everbody's fun again...

Super 8 was the popular format at that time.

However, now we all know the history of the massive challenges to the borgs teachings in the early 80s:

This is prolly a cover story so people wouldnt become curious about what was being discussed.

HB

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Interesting, several JWN posters can confirm hearing the story, even from Bartell himself, but no one from the specific area remembers anything about the actual mass disfellowshipping.

Sounds like an urban legend, maybe even Bartell himself invented it, or was told to by the WTBTS!

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

Dang! I always miss out on the fun! I heard that they used the KH library as an orgy room for their nefarious perversions. They then had to throw away the litter-ature because of all the pages being stuck together.

There was also a button on the podium that when pressed would cause a leather sling to drop from the ceiling on the stage for "Demonstrations".

The reason they all got caught was the fact that there were too many glory holes in the walls which caused issues to the structural integrity of the Kingdom Hall. Otherwise, they would have been able to keep their dirty little secret going on for much longer.

• peridotgreen
    peridotgreen

Why do I miss all the fun?

• Fernando
    Fernando

From the thread I would hazard a quick guess at 60% chance that it was physical fornication, and 40% chance that it was spiritual fornication (as suggested by BabaYaga).

From the GB perspective one is guilty of spiritual fornication (apostasy) if one allows the Holy Spirit to interpret scripture instead of the WBT$ and its god namely the "god of religion".

• koolaid-man
    koolaid-man

ppt7000 It would be good to bring you back on The Six Screens of the Watchtower Conference Call and talk about this. I have another caller that has talked about this and maybe we could get you on together. I will private mail you. Thanks Rick

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit