Were there 200 JW's disfellowshipped in 1980 all at once - in Cleveland, Ohio?

by BonaFide 41 Replies latest jw friends

• BonaFide
    BonaFide

I guess I think it might be true because Brother Bartell was a very strict, no nonsense guy. He seemed to indicate he had special knowledge of this, because I remember he said that Bethel sent out there a special committee to deal with all of it.

BF

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

I don`t Believe That!! ...............LOL!!...OUTLAW

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

Here in the SoCal there was alot of partying and likely still existing, more of the partying.

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle

Trouble with that theory is that I'll bet everyone who posted on this thread heard the story about Smurfs being demonized, too... that didn't make it true.

Another possibility is that there was indeed an entire congregation disfellowshipped... but you know JW rumors always turn it into a seedy sex story. Heck, for all we know, it might have been from them studying the bible...

I agree

• InquiryMan
    InquiryMan

Actually, an article in the Watchtower alludes to this taking place. It stated that Shocking things had happened in the mid-west.... It was even written in translated issues of the Watchtower.

Sure Blondie might find that reference...

I asked an ex-Bethelite (however, not an ex-witness) aboout it... He said it alluded to a prostitution ring... So it definitely had to do with sex...

• Johnnytwofeet
    Johnnytwofeet

There have been variations of this rumour all over the many lands of the world, much like the flood legends of past times. How can so many different countries all have this fabulous tale if it was not true!??!

• InquiryMan
    InquiryMan

bttt might someone verify my watchtower reference.

• noni1974
    noni1974

I grew up in and still live on the west side of Cleveland. In fact I went to the Westside congregation for years. I never heard this story. Not once. Could be that my family was the one with all the elders in it at the time. LOL!! 4 Uncles and a grandfather on the same elders body in the early 1980's. My family attended the Westside hall which was on Franklin Ave in Cleveland since 1954. I started going there in 1984. I was 10.

You would think if this story was true people who live or have lived in the area would know about it or have heard of it. You know how gossip is in the KH. I would for sure have heard of this if it happened.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I can beleive it. back in the late 80's there was a huge party scene that included 3 circuits.Lot's of boots were knockin'

• CuriousButterfly
    CuriousButterfly

I know something big happened back then where a lot of JWs were df'd for something to do with sex. I do not remember the #, I was a kid but we had friends from there and their Dad was an elder who was on some of the committees.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit