Why do American's pronounce herbs as 'erbs?

by yadda yadda 2 48 Replies latest jw friends

• wozza
    wozza

Which was first ,the American or the English ?

• rebel8
    rebel8
    Which was first ,the American or the English ?

Latin, but American is the best iteration.

• Luo bou to
    Luo bou to

Don't care how you pronounce it so long as you share let me have a toke too.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Microwaveable??? OUCH!!!!

• The Berean
    The Berean

ell if I know!

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

As it's been pointed out, some British folks drop h's. That's why some American's do. I say humble, but in Texas congos, they pronounced humble as umble, which according my Webster's Collegiate dictionary was a lesser, but proper American pronunciation of the world.

Why do Brits pronounce schedule shedule?

If you go into select Appalachian regions, you will find British accents. I used to run into people in north Georgia that I thought were British. They were native Georgians, going back several generations. There are islands off the east coast of the US that have the same type of phenomenon.

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

Why do Australians over-pronounce "H"? When my Aussie wife says "HTML" it both excites and confuses me.

• Simon
    Simon

This will explain it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IzDbNFDdP4

BTW: The 'erbs really grates on us

• Simon
    Simon

Oh, and Risotto ... it isn't Ris-OH-TOH ... listen to Gordon Ramsey 'cause he says it right.

Anyone claiming to write and speak English should just accept that the English get to decide what is right and what isn't.

If anyone is interested the differences are usually because the English has evolved and adapted (as it always has) and Amercian English is more like it used to be (but with some more immigrant language thrown in to the mix).

It's why we have shops and you have stores and so on.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

There are more English speakers (as a native first language) in America than the rest of the world put together.

The way I see it, you foreigners better learn to toe the line and drop the "H".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit