Atheist Reconsiders

by Outaservice 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

Believer-turned-atheist A.N. Wilson, a pal of best-selling atheists Richard
    Dawkins and Christopher Hitchens, made the stunning announcement last month
    that he has now returned to faith by becoming a follower of Jesus. (Wilson
    described a time when he was an atheist and was having dinner with Hitchens,
    who cross-examined him on his fidelity to spiritual skepticism. ³?So ­
    absolutely no God?' ?Nope,' I was able to say with Moonie-zeal. ?No future
    life, nothing ?out there'?' ?No,' I obediently replied.²)

Why has Wilson now abandoned atheism to become a Christian? He concluded
    that ³materialist ?explanations' for our mysterious human existence simply
    won't do ­ on an intellectual level.² Read his personal account of his
    return to faith here. http://www.newstatesman.com/religion/2009/04/conversion-experience-atheism

Outaservice

• Tuesday
    Tuesday

Is he planning on running for office? That seems to be the only reason that Atheists ever return to their former faith.

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

Whatever. I saw a billboard the other day questioning atheism?!?

Its like they are trying to make not believing in god a religion when its not. The way I see it you choose not to believe in a god or higher power controlling your life. Its not like atheism is a belief system one can be recruited to its just a realization some can come to at the end.

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

It does happen. I'm not sure I really understand how, once someone knows how to think critically. To me religion offers no real answers, although it certainly can give the impression that it knows the answer to things with absolute certitude.

I think it is true that with atheism and skepticism you are left with fewer answers than the theist camp. Some people really dislike not knowing the answer to things and find that a very uncomfortable position.

/haven't read his story yet

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

Speaking of atheist Christopher Hitchens, Christian philosopher William Lane
    Craig trounced him last month in a major debate on the existence of God. How
    one-sided was Craig's victory? Here's how a well-known atheist blogger put
    it: ³Hitchens was rambling and incoherent, with the occasional rhetorical
    jab. Frankly, Craig spanked Hitchens like a foolish child.² Here are some
    observations from Craig on the event:

³Knowing Hitchens' penchant for denouncing and ridiculing religion, I said
    that I would approach the subject of God's existence, not from the
    standpoint of religion, but from the standpoint of philosophy. Hitchens
    showed himself utterly incapable of interacting with the philosophical
    arguments in a substantive way.

³The reaction in the blogosphere was immediate and unanimous. Hitchens was
    uniformly denounced for his empty rhetoric and posturing and his failure to
    interact with the arguments. For my part, I'm gratified that one of the
    so-called four horsemen of the new atheism should be publicly exposed in
    this way.²

For more coverage of the debate, and to order a videotape, click here: http://www.biola.edu/news/articles/2009/090406_debate.cfm

Outaservice

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

Maybe he suffered a stroke? I would have to have some pretty serious brain damage to go back to that crap...

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

Some people just cant face the harsh realities and prefer to "believe" myths because it makes them less afwaid.

• John Doe
    John Doe

He'll change his mind on his death bed--no one believes in god when they're dieing.

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead

It might be nice to talk to an imaginary friend when I am alone, but thinking that the world is nicer if there was a god does not make god exist.

• rebel8
    rebel8

Do these announcements coincide with book releases?

I agree the word 'religion' does not pertain to atheism in its common usage. Yet it does fit some legal and dictionary definitions, which could be useful legally when standing up for one's rights to freedom of religion.

Below is the dictionary's definition. Case law in the US has defined secularity as a religion.

re⋅li⋅gion

/ r?'l?d??n /

1.a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, esp. when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.
    2.a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects: the Christian religion; the Buddhist religion.
    3.the body of persons adhering to a particular set of beliefs and practices: a world council of religions.
    4.the life or state of a monk, nun, etc.: to enter religion.
    5.the practice of religious beliefs; ritual observance of faith.

something one believes in and follows devotedly; a point or matter of ethics or conscience: to make a religion of fighting prejudice

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit