The structure of the Organization keeps people in

by BonaFide 20 Replies latest jw friends

• BonaFide
    BonaFide

When I was in Bethel, I noticed this, and of course more now.

There are those big buildings in Brooklyn, the huge Watchtower sign, that big clock facing Manhattan. Everyone in Bethel has those haircuts, clothes are pressed. Everyone is at Morning Worship. Brothers that have been in Bethel for 30 years are conducting the text. Everything is organized and clean.

I don't know why this is, but the structure itself makes you think it must be right, it must be the true religion. Look at that cleanliness, it's amazing. I have been in other factories, and Bethel ones are the cleanest. Even foreign branches are clean, I have been to several. And everyone is busy.

The same principle works in the Kingdom Halls. When I go to the meetings, everyone is dressed nice, acting polite, well, most of them. They don't talk about the WT Society very often, we study the publications and the Bible, but actually saying "The Headquarters in New York that decides everything", well it isnt ever put like that. The Hall is clean and organized, the accounts are handled, the meetings keep going on and on, and the C.O. visits. There is brother Faithful over there, baptized for 50 years.

And some of the friends don't read the magazines or really pay attention. Plus they review the same stuff all the time. But they keep going. It's not really fear about losing family by leaving that keeps people in I think, its just that most Witnesses don't even think about leaving at all. They just keep going and going.

So it's not the teachings really, I think its the structure itself that gives weight to the Organization. Or is it?

I would like to hear your comments about this.

BF

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga
    Bonafide said: It's not really fear about losing family by leaving that keeps people in I think, its just that most Witnesses don't even think about leaving at all. They just keep going and going.

You may possibly be onto something here... but I disagree with you on the "fear" component.

If it is not fear of losing one's family, it is fear of missing out... fear of being destroyed at Armegeddon! The fear of never being good enough keeps them "going and going..." If it were just apathy and unrest, it would be one thing, but they are truly afraid. They even fear Jehovah... when they are told he is a god of love.

Fear... fear... fear.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

The structure is not unique and in my opinion, having seen other religious organizations, it pretty sparse and unemotional.

• BonaFide
    BonaFide

Yes, true, fear does keep some in. But how many Witnesses actually think seriously about leaving? I never did, I don't remember any of my friends saying anything. I didn't even THINK IT. I just kept going and going, until I saw that bound volume for 1989, and I saw how they had changed "before the end of this century" to "in our time". That got me going.

But I think most Witnesses just keep going because they have done that for so many years. They made up their mind, they think, and they just get ready and go to the meetings, no matter what they say there and no matter what they do.

BF

• JustHuman14
    JustHuman14

It is FEAR that keeps people in that cult. Fear of loosing your friends, family. Besides WT managed to brainwash them that they cannot have a life outside WT...

• allelsefails
    allelsefails

I agree with the concept you presented here. It works for most organizations. Catholics stay Catholics because they never question it. People in this country think they live in a Democracy because there are voting booths. Every one has a "hook". The witnesses are very persuasive with their kind and loving attitude ... if you fit in properly. And using "the truth" to describe your religion is mind control at its best. (I still use the phrase and kick myself every time.)My wife tells me "Brother .... has been faithful since the forties". She knows that gets to me because I love him so much. So I say what about Mother Teresa or Ghandi. Was it there "religion" that made them great or their own personality and love for people? Fear does keep people in once you start to question. I'm still "a member", and I hold back from DA because of my mother and children. It seems better to fade away...... One thing JWs got right: Religion is a Snare and a Racket.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

With the crap "education(??)" you are allowed, plus they do not train you to function outside the religion, people are made unable to function outside the witless organization. Then, if they break one of the rules, they will be put out.

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

Buildings and people look relatively 'clean', correct. But you've heard of 'Whitewashed Graves', remember?

Outaservice

• garybuss
    garybuss

If I judge the organization by size and cleanliness of buildings, I've been in Washington, DC, I'd say the United States Government must be God's organization. They have more members, more buildings, and cleaner buildings.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Very well thought and put. It's not easy to perceive, let alone describe, this fuzzy and pervasive "almost-nothing" -- the routine, the "homelikeness," the subjective sense of familiarity, comfort and security which we can feel in what outsiders would describe as weird, uncomfortable and insecure situations, simply because they are ours and we "belong" there; an inertia which maintains activity and movement and prevents even desire for, and fear of change, from emerging to consciousness. I have observed the same thing among long-time Bethelites in particular. It can last indefinitely unless something snaps you out by surprise. There was a joke going on in French Bethel about people coming in by mistake and staying by oblivion (or forgetfulness). The reason why you stay is rarely the reason why you joined.

I had a giggle at the sentence: "Even foreign branches are clean." Beyond stereotypes (such as about American cleanliness and French dirt, lol), the antagonism of "clean" vs. "foreign" is quite revealing of the mental structure underlying the "virtue" of loyalty.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit