Why do so many on here quote the WT and Awake when Witnesses hardly ever read them?

by BonaFide 15 Replies latest jw friends

• BonaFide
    BonaFide

Really people, MOST WITNESSES DO NOT READ THE MAGAZINES. I can say that because I go to the meetings, I go in service, I have been a Witness all my life. I have been in English, Spanish, and Sign Language congregations. Yes, a few read them, but even if they do, its rare that someone mentions them other than during the meetings.

When I was in Bethel many of them read the magazines, because they are looking for their friends photos' in there, or a quote. Sometimes another Bethelite would ask me about a certain article.

The ONLY article that a Witness has brought up to me in the last six months is the Paramedic article by the brother in Canada.

I bring up articles in the car groups and restaurants, no one usually has read them.

So even if we show them things in the magazines, that's not really a big deal to them no matter what it says, because the truth always changes anyway, right?

What have you seen in your experience?

BF

• Waffles
    Waffles

The die-hards do read the magazines, but as far as the rest of the sheeple-class, I have to agree with you in that they just don't read 'em. They try to place 'em, but they don't read them.

Sad to say, but I've probably done more WT and Awake reading since deciding that this is NOT the Truth than I did when I ws drinking the Kool Aid.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

When I was a JW, there was hardly a time that I read the magazines.

They were too dreadfully boring.

• Marjorie
    Marjorie

Because pointing out the Society's discrepancies in their own literature may be the only way for some to see how fraudulent it is.

• BonaFide
    BonaFide

Its also easy for a Witness to say, "No I didn't read that point, I will check on it later."

The magazines don't carry much weight anymore, because the truth "changes" for one.

And another reason is that we have the Internet. Whereas when I was a kid, the magazines did have some articles I liked and used at school, nowadays everyone does research on the Internet. Even public libraries have Internet now, and less books.

BF

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

witlesses use Andrex.

Hell - didn't Honesty say the best way to get a Witless out of the Troof is to show him their own litterature?

over the years i have become convinced that your average dub goes into a coma when reading the Witchtower.

They are taught NOT to draw conclusions for themselves from any information put in front of them.

The main reason 'postates know the magazines is that they see it in the toilet every time they rip a piece off the string to wipe...

HB

• blondie
    blondie

I figure you can only hang them with their own words.

• BonaFide
    BonaFide

When I was a teenager, we had WT studies on Saturday nights, we used to read articles out loud in service, now there is none of that. All of us kids had our own subscription, with the brown cover, remember that? We used to really love getting the magazines, and the "new light." Everyone would be talking about it.

No more. The friends just use the cover to place the magazine at the door. No reading hardly.

BF

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

Because it's the only reliable source they trust..?

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I used to read them, at least in the beginning (I was not familiar with the Unholy Bible, so I was able to be scammed into thinking they went by the Bible, so long as I never saw rags from much earlier). However, as I realized that they were saying effectively the same thing, I would only glance through the articles that did not interest me because they were intentionally too confusing or because I was already familiar with them.

Time is another factor. The witlesses are supposed to read the lead articles, so they can place them at the doors. All they are supposed to know is that they are supposed to obey the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger at all costs, and just enough about the articles to showcase them at the door. It is the Washtowel Teach book and the Keep Yourselves in God's Tyranny book that the witlesses are supposed to study in depth, along with the Kool-Aid washtowel.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit