LATEST BIG RUMOR: WTS calls a moratorium on ALL KH construction in US & Canada

by sir82 47 Replies latest jw friends

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Now sounds like a good time, if anyone has the link to find some Zero Dollar Bills and Void Checks.

• grassyknoll07
    grassyknoll07

I was informed it will be very difficult to get a loan in the US for a few years. There is a great need of halls internationally and the funds donated to KHAA will be used for that purpose. US halls should finance their own remodels/builds. And when US congragations decide to do so, the local congregations will have no say in how the money is spent. RBC will contol the funds and ensure they are used for the project wisely. Apparently some halls are being overly decorated and money is not being spent wisely. I was told you can build a decent hall in africa for about $5000, and some halls in the US are spending that much in a sound system.

• Meeting Junkie No More
    Meeting Junkie No More

Not sure if this may have anything to do with the moratorium on new builds, but the latest KH build I am aware of went WAY OVER BUDGET. I don't know the specifics, but even after all the planning and all the updates to the congregation throughout the build, etc., something pushed the final total to something WAY OVER what it was supposed to initially cost. Since we no longer attend, I don't know how this shortfall will be made up; all I know is some of the publishers are none too pleased at the cost overrun. Especially in these times.

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

The Society used to charge 3% interest on loans, but about a year ago they stopped charging any interest at all. No explanation was given.

I must have missed or forgotten about that one. I wonder if the interest created a tax liability? Hard to claim charitable status when you're charging interest. And, if you're not charging interest, then your actually losing money since I'm sure the WTS invests it's cash reserves and holds long term investments like stocks and bonds.

One thing is for sure, it's ALWAYS about the money.

US halls should finance their own remodels/builds. And when US congragations decide to do so, the local congregations will have no say in how the money is spent. RBC will contol the funds and ensure they are used for the project wisely.

But if the congregation wants to over spend on fancy sound systems or decorative features, isn't it their money? I can tell you that in once recent example, the local BOE told the RBC to stuff it when it came to a renovation. We actually found a much better price with a local contractor. I have friends in other places that have similar stories.

If the WTS wants to own the local KH, then they should. If not, then they should allow the locals to do what they want. I understand that if you're giving a low cost loan you get some right to tell folks how they can spend the money, i.e. - in order to qualify for the low cost loan, you must use the RBC. But, if the WTS stops financing they are going to have a tougher time controling how the locals. The only way you could do it would be to threaten to remove the local BOE.

• grassyknoll07
    grassyknoll07

FYI, the WTS owns all the halls. They drive this poing before any build or remodel. The Hall is a Kingdom Interest and is owned and controlled by the branch. I was told we are one congragation, "Christian Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses". One congregation! I got the feeling the branch will eventually asume control of all the local funds and distribute the funds as they see fit to remodel and maintain KHs.

• sir82
    sir82
    FYI, the WTS owns all the halls.

Really? Must be all except one, because the one I attend is held in trust. The Society's name appears nowhere on the deed (unless I overlooked it).

Perhaps that is the case with Kingdom Halls built after XYZ date. This one was built in the 80's.

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

Well people talk about how much money the society has... They have a lot of real estate (not a great place to have all of your money right now) and they have a shit ton of window washers and maids footing the bills... Many of them are now unemployed. Donations for the literature are in the toilet as most 'worldly' people have gotten wise to them.

Sooooo yeah, yeah I'll bet money IS a real big problem right now and it is only gonna get worse!

• Open mind
    Open mind

There was a letter to BOEs sent out about a month ago stating in a nutshell that the RBC is the boss and that they would prefer to deal with just one local elder and he better keep his yap shut about most things and do as he's told.

As for ownership, in California at least, the K Halls are owned by invidual corporations (on paper) but with a bunch of weasel language that says the property ultimately will revert to ownership by the WTB&TS if anything shady happens. I imagine this provides at least one layer of insulation against law suits for the Branch, without losing actual long-term control.

om

• minimus
    minimus

This "religion" is just a front for lawyers who screw people.

• undercover
    undercover
    Can you elaborate on this undercover?

Mickey, you have a PM

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit