Reading is over-rated

by yadda yadda 2 40 Replies latest jw friends

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Always been an avid reader - books have been my salvation. Knowledge is a powerful weapon against the indoctrination of the WTS and books helped me to be the first in my family to escape.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Ya, I collect books too. I've got a growing wish list on amazon, I can't help going to second had stores weekly, and my library card is getting worn...which reminds me I got a Dresden book to finish.

• tornapart
    tornapart

I've been a bookworm since the time I discovered at the age of 4 or 5 that books held a whole world of imagination. From that age onward I read all sorts. But it is true that one needs to balance it with the 'real' world. Trouble is, when you are addicted to reading you don't want to leave it! Is there some place book addicts can go to be restored to a normal human being?

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Meh. The real world sucks! Highly overrated.

Mrs. J did you have a favorite author as a child? Mine was Judy Blume. I used to read the Ramona books outloud to my daughter before she could read well so she wouldn't be intimidated by 'chapter' books.

NC

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Yup, Judy Blume was a fav. I read all of her books. I credit her in my being aware of the joys of masturbation.

• tornapart
    tornapart

NC: The real world sucks!

True NC!! LOL... back to my lovely books.. heheh

• Giordano
    Giordano

Reading is what helped get me out of the 'truth' most people who purposely found their way out usually mention that they were readers. Reading is the medium of choice for thoughtful people.

I also read what others have to say on this forum as well. And many a time I have reflected on your words and ideas while I do my chores or run errands.

• White Dove
    White Dove

The second that my sister and I learned how to read (ages 5 & 7), we fought over the cereal box daily.

It had to stand right in the middle of us on the table so we could read every word while eating our cereal, she read one side while I read the other.

I think we were the only kids in our area that could correctly pronounce the long scientific ingredients.

The addiction grew from there, and neither of us is interested in an intervention or rehab.

I just got an Android and discovered the free Kindle application along with free book downloads (and not so free ones, too).

'Nuff said.

Now, let me read.

• LV101
    LV101

the anxiety of stockpiling books/amazon owning me for yrs. to the point i had to box and store out of sight for the future. i don't trust myself and have been reluctant to order a kindle, etc. i used to carry couple books in car (still do at x's). maybe kindle, i-pad is the answer to just pick up lines and inch by inch it. impressed by avid readers who obviously make reading time a priority but started ordering art books (unreal) to learn different mediums not addressed in art education (talk about limited) w/the realization/acknowledgment it would take more than one lifetime (art full time) to digest the knowledge/techniques (discouraging). oh, to be a recluse someday!

inspiring, hopeful, thread!

BOTR --- lawyers i know/live with are some of the greatest readers in the world --- the good ones, anyway. talk about speed readers/great comprehension skills!

encouraging thread.

• panhandlegirl
    panhandlegirl

LRG I am a great Taylor Caldwell fan. Didn't she write "Captains and Kings?" I read her novel about the gun manufacters a long time ago.I think I will find it and read it again.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit