"Negotiating a Reasonable Bride Price" - anyone seen this article??

by ziddina 27 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• parakeet
    parakeet
    DeanOs: When something of this nature is considered: bear in mind that Labola (name for the so called 'bride price') is an obligatory custom or practise in near all of Africa.

In much of the Middle East, women are required to wear veils, not allowed to work or vote or do much of anything other than please a husband, who may have other wives as well. Do you consider that "obligatory custom" ethical simply because it's been traditional for centuries? Do you think women should have the same rights and privileges as men? If not, why not?

I don't know how widespread the custom of female circumcision is in Africa, but do you consider that an "obligatory custom" too? I'm sure the men who inflict this maiming on women think it's their right to do so.

"Labola" may be customary in Africa, but stripped of its traditional trappings, it's just a business transaction -- the trade of a human being for goods. Where I come from, that's called "slavery."

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Well ya know the basic reason of female circumcision is don't ya? It's to take away the female pleasure of sex so the female won't be a slut and therefore faithful to her husband (who might also have multiple wives and a few mistresses on the side...oh and don't forget the occasional visit the the town ho ). Cuz we all know how slutty females can be.

• ziddina
    ziddina

I authored these sayings many, many decades ago. I think this might be a fitting thread to post them on...:

"Strong men are attracted to strong women.
    Weak men make their women weak.
    Take a look at what you have done to your women;
    Then you will know what sort of men you are..."

"Free men free their women,
    Enslaved men further enslave their women.
    Are your women free, or enslaved?
    Then you are not free, either..."

Ziddina

• carla
    carla

Even if it customary in Africa wouldn't it be considered 'worldly' for jw's to go along with the rest of society on this issue?

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

I remember reading this.

This practice occurs in various cultures, including Muslim countries and China. It is ancient and existed in Biblical times among people in the ancient near east. In anglo culture, in not so ancient times, wealth flowed in the other direction, it was called a dowry.

BTS

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

"A dowry (also known as trousseau or tocher) is the money, goods, or estate that a woman brings to her husband in marriage. [ 1 ] Compare bride price, which is paid to the bride's parents, and dower, which is property settled on the bride herself by the groom at the time of marriage. The same culture may simultaneously practice both dowry and bride price. The dowry is an ancient custom, and its existence may well predate records of it."

A dowry is a bit different from a bride price. A dowry is or was actually owned by the woman, vs a bride price which is paid to the parents.

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

My husbands parents should have paid me to marry him Sorry "mini rant"

nj

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

excuse me, but what does this practice have; that the WT should meddle writing an article?

I think religion has no place for local customs? (oh I forgot the watchtower deemonizes local customs they see that don't jive with johoba)

• Earnest
    Earnest

Lobola, which wiki describes as a "custom is aimed at bringing the two families together, fostering mutual respect, and indicating that the man is capable of supporting his wife financially and emotionally" means that most indigenous African men have to prove they can support a wife before marrying her.

As Bethelites receive little financially this has been a problem for those black brothers working in the South African Bethel who wish to marry but would never be able to save the lobola for many years.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

jack, that engagement ring thing irqs me too!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit