Fallen From Favor

by compound complex 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thank you, PSacramento.

Beautifully expressed. You're correct that it's the love, not the money.

I appreciate the reminder.

CoCo

• minimus
    minimus

I coulda been a contender.

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

I brief note on my way from here to there...

The popular artist is so often a flash in the pan, fads are fickle, opinion changes.

Perhaps that which persists in current consciousness is only due to market penetration and PR, perhaps it has something to do with merit, but there are great merits that have disappeared from view.

It seems to develop an awareness, let alone appreciation, for the arts, one must become an intellectual and delve into scholarship.

Then at least one might become part of the in-crowd that knows about art? And, of course, therefore becomes an outcast from popular culture?

• ninja
    ninja

I'm similar to minimus...although i don't have his drive or ambition......... hence

"I coulda been a bartender"

watch this guy cokey.........dead now....and you folk in the states never got to see the genius that was les dawson

"where would we be without good music eh?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nNGlaiVypU&feature=related

• Violia
    Violia

I like Warren Zevon a lot. He had a few major hits but for the most of his life he was never respected in the music world. I recall seeing him on the Letteman show and him saying he could not get a gig anywhere. Until he died I never knew that he wrote some incredible music. "Werewolfs of London" is what he will be remembered for, but he did so much more. He just never really hit it really big.

MeatLoaf is similar. He has an amazing voice and presence but has not been a major commerical success since the late 70's . He briefly had a hit in 93 and won a grammy but nothing much since. I follow him as a fan and know he is much better received in the UK than in the Usa. I will never understand why.

(sorry about spelling , can't spell check in firefox on this board)

• Farkel
    Farkel

:but that some of the most famous and sought after artists through time - writers, actors, composers, etc. - have fallen from the public's favor and are often never heard from or about again.

As you well know, CoCo, WA Mozart was world famous as a boy, but was less popular than that hack Antonio Salieri as an adult. The public is fickle, easily amused and fooled and basically a pack of morons. Critics are even worse: they can't do, so they work their hardest to ruin the careers of those who can and then promote the careers of those they biased towards for purely personal reasons. Music Competitions are the worst idea ever conceived and have ruined more potentially great careers before the careers could even get started. Van Cliburn became an international sensation after winning the Russian International Competition in 1958, but his recordings were cold and lifeless in the 1970's. Out of gas? I don't know.

Steven Seagal (I'm not claiming he is an "artist") was wildly popular with his first few movies. The problem was, all of his later movies were nearly clones of each other. He ran out of gas and then out of favor. Aaron Copeland for example, did all of his best work before middle-age. Out of gas.

For an artist to fall out of favor for reason not related to his/her art, is quite another matter, but it shows how superficial many people are.

For myself, I have chosen to never BE in favor, so there's nothing to lose!

Farkel

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Farkel..

Segal plays Guitar..

He`s good..

Saw him play with BB King..

................... ...OUTLAW

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thank you, Dear Friends, for your great, insightful comments as well as the videos.

As an unemployed whatever-it-is-I-was, I do contemplate, on occasion, whether ability is ever commensurate with financial viability [whatever that happens to be in the current market, in various countries, I've no clue]. I did exceedingly well as a janitor and window washer when I was raising my family, however ...

What you have expressed is not unknown by me, but you have said it so well!

Gratefully,

CoCo

• OUTLAW
  • compound complex
    compound complex

You are so right, OUTLAW! I remind myself of that often ...

Something about not prostituting my art?!?!?!?

Thanks, as ever, friend!

CoCo

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit