401k Accounts Frozen!

by sammielee24 25 Replies latest jw friends

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

By ELEANOR LAISE

Some investors in 401(k) retirement funds who are moving to grab their money are finding they can't.

Even with recent gains in stocks such as Monday's, the months of market turmoil have delivered a blow to some 401(k) participants: freezing their investments in certain plans. In some cases, individual investors can't withdraw money from certain retirement-plan options. In other cases, employers are having trouble getting rid of risky investments in 401(k) plans.

When Ed Dursky was laid off from his job at a manufacturing company in March, he couldn't withdraw $40,000 from his 401(k) retirement account invested in the Principal U.S. Property Separate Account.

That fund, which invests directly in office buildings and other properties, had stopped allowing most investors to make withdrawals last fall as many of its holdings became hard to sell.

Now Mr. Dursky, of Ottumwa, Iowa, is looking for work and losing patience. All he wants, he said, is his money.

"I hate to be whiny, but it is my money," Mr. Dursky said.

The withdrawal restrictions are limiting investment options for plan participants and employers at a key time in the markets. The timing is inconvenient for the number of workers like Mr. Dursky who are laid off and find their savings inaccessible.

Though 401(k) plans revolutionized the retirement-savings landscape by putting investment decisions in the hands of individuals, the restrictions show that plan participants aren't always in the driver's seat.

Individual investors mightn't even be aware of some behind-the-scenes maneuvers causing liquidity problems in their retirement plans. Many funds offered in 401(k) plans lend their portfolio holdings to other investors, receiving in exchange collateral that they invest in normally safe, liquid holdings.

State Street Corp. in March notified investors of new withdrawal restrictions in its securities-lending funds. Until at least the end of the year, plans can make monthly withdrawals of only 2% to 4% of their account balance, the notice said.

Plans wishing to withdraw entirely from lending funds will have to take a slice of beaten-down collateral-pool holdings.

"Given the current state of the fixed-income market, we felt it was prudent to put some well-defined withdrawal parameters in place," said State Street spokeswoman Arlene Roberts.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Mercy!

What's next?

Savings/checking accounts?

Sylvia

• jeeprube
    jeeprube

That's why I pulled all my money out of the bank and stuffed it in my mattress next to my guns!

• Priest73
    Priest73
    That's why I pulled all my money out of the bank and stuffed it in my mattress next to my guns!

What did you say your address was?

• JeffT
    JeffT

Proof of the need for advice to read the prospectus VERY carefully. I'm not surprised that a real estate based fund is having liquidity trouble. Somewhere buried in the fine print are is a statement that the fund isn't a bank and you can't just take your money in time. Diversity is always good when investing.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Some investors in 401(k) retirement funds who are moving to grab their money are finding they can't.

You'd better hope none of your 401K funds are invested in Chrysler bonds, the White House wants to throw you out in the street.

BTS

• Warlock
    Warlock
    Diversity is always good when investing.

This idea is promoted by people who don't know what THEY are doing, or realize YOU don't know what YOU'RE doing.

Diversity is a BAD idea.

Warlock

• JeffT
    JeffT

Putting all your eggs in one basket is good? I don't think so.

• jeeprube
    jeeprube
    You'd better hope none of your 401K funds are invested in Chrysler bonds, the White House wants to throw you out in the street.

What a crap deal that is! They're gonna allow Chrysler to take all the viable parts of their mismanaged company and walk away leaving all their debt holders to go piss off.

I'm buying Toyota's and Honda's from now on. They're better products, they're made in America, and they're not standing around expecting the government to save them from their own failure.

• Warlock
    Warlock
    Putting all your eggs in one basket is good? I don't think so.

Maybe not in ONE basket, but one sector, yes.

Whatever sector is rising.

Warlock

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit