What did you think about "apostates" when you were JW?

by Albert Einstein 16 Replies latest jw friends

• garybuss
    garybuss

The Samaritans are apostates. Don't the JWs teach that there are good apostates? There's a picture on Watch Tower Corporation's wall showing Jesus talking to an apostate. What's up with that?

• jws
    jws

I remember seeing them at conventions. There was tension in the air. At one point, I thought a fight might break out. At another convention, I remember leaving for the day and finding their own Watchtower magazine on the windsheilds of cars. I was dying to read one, but they had people snatching them up and collecting them.

What I thought was they had some simple misunderstanding and were too proud to even look at the evidence again. I even believed it may have been just one little point that all apostates stumbled over (because we were supposed to have the truth, how many errors could there be? ha ha).

I thought that if I could just discover what their issue was and research it, I'd be able to try to explain the truth to them.

The first apostate I knew was a guy maybe 6 years older than me. He was into computers too and was going to a technical college. We talked about computers a bit. He was a smart guy. He was also a pioneer. Then he disappeared. I heard he had gone apostate and was very angry. He still lived with his mother (actually in the upstairs apartment of her duplex). They say he got very angry and shouted whenever the JWs were mentioned. It sounded like he went crazy.

Because I respected his intelligence, I was always curious to talk to him, especially after I had read CoC and compare notes. The closest I got was dating a girl who had dated him last. Aside from her high school sweetheart, she had only dated 3 guys (me included). Two of them were ex-JWs and she didn't even know before she started dating us. She said this guy seemed very cynical and bitter. That didn't sound like the JW guy I knew. His experience must have really affected him. At least I heard he was in a real college and not just a technical school.

All of the apostates I've met seemed friendly as far as I know. But social situations and talking to somebody at a party aren't getting to know the real person. Most of the people here seem friendly enough. Some don't, but maybe are better in person.

• BonaFide
    BonaFide

I didnt even like this site when I first came on here. I was still programmed to think everyone that left the Witnesses was evil. But something made me keep reading.

BF

• BonaFide
    BonaFide

I didnt even like this site when I first came on here. I was still programmed to think everyone that left the Witnesses was evil. But something made me keep reading.

BF

• StAnn
    StAnn

I saw some picketing at a convention once. We were told not to look at them (probably because they held signs the WTS didn't want us to read). One of the "apostates" was raising a big stink because his ex-wife was in the building with his kids and he did NOT want his kids in there. My brother has since married the "apostate's" ex-wife and she is PSYCHO.

St. Ann

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I thought of them as liars (in fact, they are more likely to be telling the real truth) that were bitter (in fact, many of them have reason to be bitter for the time they wasted on a scam) and out to ruin the true religion (in fact, they are out to expose the Washtowel Slaveholdery, often using their own littera-trash, as being a scam).

The ones that picketed the a$$emblies I saw were nothing like what we see now. They used stupid presentations (getting saved--when I was a witless, I actually thought that I was already saved). Often, they would spend more time spreading apostate messages (that were viewed as slander) than we spent out in field circus.

Truth is, these days most apostates actually expend less energy on apostasy than they did in field circus. Some do take the lead, picket a$$emblies and REJECT Jesus Parties, while most just join forums (or start them) for new studies to land on and realize that it is not the truth. Besides, we do not spend hours and hours knocking on doors in the hot sun or bitter cold and snow--it is mostly by spending time online and supporting those who are out there advancing the real truth about the truth.

• loosie
    loosie

I wasn't even to read their signs as we were driving into the stadium for the assemblies. They were that evil.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit