Boxing

by Tatiana 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Tatiana
    Tatiana

I seem to remember articles concerning JWS not being allowed to watch or participate in boxing matches because of how violent they are. I did a search yet can't seem to find anything. Anyone remember this?

• Albert Einstein
    Albert Einstein

Tatiana, there was an article in WT "Could a christian be a proffesional boxer" I believe it was in 70s... I dont have WT Library with me, I will try to find it later for you. (of course, there were other articles also ...)

Albert

• possible-san
  • GromitSK
    GromitSK

"Could a christian be a professional boxer". I think it is a bad idea. There would be too many people lining up to punch seven bells out of them.

• blondie
    blondie

Actually the elders manual says that boxing is a df'ing offense.

*** w81 7/1 p. 31 Questions From Readers ***The individual should also be reminded that while professional boxing might provide him with a comfortable livelihood, Christians do not need to stoop to such means, for God’s Word assures us, at Hebrews 13:5, 6: "Let your manner of life be free of the love of money, while you are content with the present things. For he has said: ‘I will by no means leave you nor by any means forsake you.’ So that we may be of good courage and say: ‘Jehovah is my helper; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?’"

Therefore, such a person should be given a reasonable period of time to discontinue his unchristian profession or occupation. His failure to do so would mean that the elders would have no alternative but to exclude him from the congregation.—1 Cor. 5:11-13.

As to watching boxing, it comes under the category of violence, the watching of is frowned upon. But since football is considered violent by the WTS, I doubt that the elders I know are going to outlaw watching football or boxing very soon.

• minimus
    minimus

I ALWAYS loved boxing. I knew many elders that were Ali and Sugar Ray fans. We just didn't publicize it.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

I know an elder that loves watching UFC.

• ThomasCovenant
    ThomasCovenant

WT 15th June 1961 pages 368-374. Progressing Toward Maturity (paragraph 16)

''Do not feed your mind on the disgusting wrestling and boxing matches that television offers!

Do you think that men will abuse their bodies in that fashion in God's new world?

Do you think that it was God's will at creation for man's body to be punched, jabbed, hooked, gouged and headlocked?

Of course not!''

There we have it from Jehovah's own mouth. (WT 15th June 1957 page 630.......''respond to the directions of the 'slave' as we would to the voice of God'')

Thomas Covenant

• judge rutherFRAUD
    judge rutherFRAUD

MY jw dad was a big boxing fan, I know he stopped watching boxing because of the wt articles.

• african GB Member
    african GB Member

It's because all GOOD boxers happen to be AFRICAN and the borg ignored africans until just recently( SIMON HERD)

GB

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit