Is being a JW like being a drug addict?

by mkr32208 24 Replies latest jw friends

• Skip it
    Skip it

I can relate and believe this as well. The added kicker is when your spouse is the "addict" and you have never been. I can say that I tried the drug and it made me sleepy. I am inhaling 2nd hand watchtower. As the non addict I have found that my credibility or ability to relate to the drug is not all there. The best counselors were once addicts themselves. I wish that I could find a way to get my spouse to read this site.

• Spook
    Spook

Not a bad analogy, but there are some important differences (besides the obvious medical ones).

A major fact which perpetuates drug abuse is the collusion of the users family and friends in a codependant enabling way.

Opposition from family and friends against cult members often strengthens the belief system since such systems have an elaborate circularity in which opposition (a normal way of testing beliefs) becomes evidence for the truth of the belief.

When drug users finally experience huge consequences imposed by their loved ones they are most likely to stop using. The cultic mindset is immune to this, since evidence for the failure of the belief (loss of job, opportunity, happiness, income) becomes evidence for the truth of the belief as persecution, testing and sacrifice.

Plus drug addiction has known biological components and genetic predispositions. So far when last I checked religion is considered more purely psychological and less genetic dependant. We see about a 60/40 or 70/30 with drugs. I bet we'll have about a 10/90 with religion (that is, nature vs. nurture balance).

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle

In the meantime, those getting free of the wt addiction go through many stages of varying degrees of dependencies; religions, jesus, food, ego trips, booze, drugs, collecting things etc, etc. The thing is, to not get stuck at one place for too long. A site like this is able to help those who dare to move further down the path.

Yes, I agree, after leaving the dubs, life can get very bumpy.

But that's just normal growing pains.

It doesn't feel that way while it's happening though.

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

I WAS a drug addict, for close to a decade - and I can tell you it is definitely NOT like being a JW. No good analogue AT ALL.

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

I was an alcoholic for many years after leaving the JWs. I think it is a great analogy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit