Bethel reductions in Europe

by Lost-In-Translation 22 Replies latest jw friends

• Lost-In-Translation
    Lost-In-Translation

Perhaps this has been discussed before, but at the Extjforo.com (the Spanish Ex-Witness website) there has been a lot of discussion of the Governing Body's decision to either close or severely reduce Bethel homes in Europe - in particular Spain. There was even a letter sent to all congregations in Spain explaining the situation. Bethalites are being asked to leave - they are not even getting other assignments. The printing presses that were paid for by the Spanish congregations are being sent to Germany - which is upsetting the Witnesses in Spain since they paid for those presses. Just a few bethalites will remain for administrative reasons.

Most are commenting that since the WTBS is a corporation - they are being adversely affected due to the worldwide recession. The "friends" are not able to give as they did before. Congregations have been running into deficits for the last few months. Seems like money will force the WBTS to make changes that they would not have even thought of during "good times."

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

LIT said: "Congregations have been running into deficits for the last few months."

If they don't respond to the Local Needs talks by coughing up the ca$h, those congregations will be disbanded as well.

B the X

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

Interesting. I think this is why they are selling their Brooklyn property also. Maybe we will see some more major changes. Hasn't this cult about run its course?

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

They are ditching the Spanish Bethel people since Spain has decreed that members of religious communities must get pensions and health care paid for by the religion for life.

The WT fought against this all the way to the supreme court and LOST. This recession is a godsend as they can mask the real reason behind economic downturn.

HB

• hamsterbait
  • BonaFide
    BonaFide

I knew a Spain Bethelite once, I think he told me that there were about 1000 in the Bethel Family there.

Interesting.

BF

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

what's your source hamsterbait?

• blondie
    blondie

This maybe:

http://governingbodyletters.blogspot.com/

Saturday, October 11, 2008

Spanish Branch Overseer Demoted Because He Lost His Case In Court

The brother who over many decades had been the top-dog at the Spainish Branch of the Watchtower, Antonio "Toti" Rodriguez was demoted as the head of the Legal Dept. and has been assigned a desk in the "Service Dept." at Ajalvir, (Spanish Bethel).
    Word has it that the recent ruling in the Spanish courts against the Society over Social Security contributions and pensions for Bethel workers was the reason. It's going to cost the Watchtower Society millions, but I'm sure they'll pass the cost down to the publishers.
    The letter from from Watchtower Headquarters to the Spanish congregations makes it seems like it was their idea to give the brothers Social Security and pensions. They praised themelves in the letter saying what a loving arrangement to provide for those who've worked so long in furthering Kingdom interests. What a loving arrangement indeed, when you need the Courts to force your hand!
    Poor "Toti". He tried really hard to keep the Spanish government from collecting Social Security and pensions for people employed at Bethel.

Posted by Theocratic Joker at 2:18 AM 118 comments
  • stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

The printing presses that were paid for by the Spanish congregations are being sent to Germany - which is upsetting the Witnesses in Spain since they paid for those presses. Just a few bethalites will remain for administrative reasons.

It would piss me off too

• Cadellin
    Cadellin

Wow--anyone got more details about this, particularly news sources?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit