Jerusalem destroyed 607 or 586/7?

by isaacaustin 31 Replies latest jw friends

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

If a JW knows the reasons that it is not the truth and still wants to believe it is they easily make excuses.

The 607 lie doesn't make any difference to my mother. She simply says "oh well, maybe Jesus started ruling in 1934".

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

The longer I was in, the more I felt it was my responsibility as a "mature" one to strive and understand it so as to be able to explain it.

Not only did I find that the reasoning convaluted and zig zaggy, (particularly the part about disproving archaelogical evidence that the Aid book commented on) but not too many JW's were really interested in knowing how the GB got 1914 anyway. They simply trusted them.

The subject matter is so dry to most JW's that it really doesn't matter. "JW say 607, you say 587."

Lets face it, the GB isn't really targetting people with an education, with all respect. They are counting on naivatie, and they are counting on blind trust. Those that ask one too many questions don't stick around long.

In short, I think it would matter if most JW's understood the significance of it, but I doubt seriously most do.

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

Jeff has it right most people are not schooled well on to ancient history so they take the statements by the GB as truthful fact.

Well why shouldn't they after all this is god's own solemn organization on earth, therefore everything stated by the GB must be true.

Religion is a game that gets played out like that. Interesting is it not that the god's earthly kingdom came about aproximantly the same time

C.T.Russell started his religious publishing business the WTBS., what a coincidence or was it ?

JWS is just another board game among the many.

• diamondiiz
    diamondiiz

If WTS were to change the date and they would go about doing so very swiftly they would shake things up and many people would awaken of their long snooze. Many would leave realizing that 1914 was a lie. Now if WTS were to change it gradually, which in most cases that's exactly how they do things. Majority would view things as changing light and would accept the "correction" as a time of test and sifting and they would want to stay loyal to the organization. With slow fading of 607 only small percentage of followers would leave, maybe 10%? Since most would be still drowsy enough to follow the GB deception 90% retention would surely be acceptible. If the change came suddenly, I would guess that closer to 30% would re-examine their religion and greater number would leave and more likely there would be a very bitter division(s) with possible law suits and all, especially when clusters of watchtower witnesses would realize that they've been ripped off for many years. When one or two leave they tend to be odd balls but if a whole congregations leave it's more likely that these would want some sort of justice - would these possibly take over a kingdom hall since these are seperate charities not totally linked to the WTS corporation?? Could these "rebels" sell the building or fight to get control of it?? I would guess that it would be a mess.

That's probably why GB chages doctrine in steps so their hypnotized victims get used to the small changes before the entire scheme unfold and the victims don't even realize that they've been dubbed.

• davegod
    davegod

The 1914 date has been changed many times. What came of that? 607 is moot, IMO some of you here spend way too much time trying to quantify it. Without and end game, what differance does it make? The generation that will not pass away has been dropped. So what differance does it make when or if Jesus took over? If a day in his court yard is as a 1000 years elswhere? The end may not come for centuries. The end has always been near, just not in our or anyone elses lifetime.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Davegod

I agree except for this: As more time passes, that date is going to be an albatross for the borg. Every passing year, that weight gets a little heavier.

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

Davegod.....The 1914 date has been changed many times. What came of that? 607 is moot, IMO some of you here spend way too much time trying to quantify it. Without and end game, what differance does it make? The generation that will not pass away has been dropped. So what differance does it make when or if Jesus took over? If a day in his court yard is as a 1000 years elswhere? The end may not come for centuries. The end has always been near, just not in our or anyone elses lifetime.

Dave, for me finally realising 607 is wrong was massive. Finally i could see the Watchtower Society that i had put so much faith in for my whole life was wrong. If they were wrong on this then surely they can be wrong on other issues too.

The very fact that i can prove the Watchtower wrong has been one of the biggest releases of my life. I could always criticise the UN stance, the child abuse scandals, the disfellowshipping stance, but in my opinion the WTS always comes back with an excuse or half hearted answer to these issues. But when i realised they have no comeback or excuse whatsoever on the 607 issue the penny finally dropped for me and in turn i realised their excuses for all the other issues was nothing more than BS.

Whilst the 607 issue may not be the biggest issue for you, it is the biggest issue for many of us here, for others it may be the UN or disfellowshipping, we all have that one straw that finally broke the camels back.

For me that straw is 607 v 587/6.

Paul

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

More to the point, why do witnesses believe Daniel is actually prophecy? Scholars of the OT and even mainstream christian religions believe it to be an apocalyptic written in the 160's BCE, not prophecy. Even while a witness I began to doubt Daniel; where was Daniel when the 3 Hebrews were being tested? Why did Daniel have to be sure to be seen praying? Was eating vegetables really a big deal?

The first half of Daniel is a story to promote Jewish identity, the second half fits well with the literary genre.

JW's have followed in the steps of William Miller and others by attempting to fit the modern day to a prophecy that is not a prophecy at all, but a tall tale to inspire the Jews under foreign control to retain their identity in the face of increasing Hellenization of their culture.

• TD
    TD

Without and end game, what differance does it make? .....The end may not come for centuries.

I think there's still and end game of sorts. In 1935 J. F. Rutherford had thousands of people stand up and told them clearly and unequivocally that they were the 'Great multitude' of Revelation. To this day, JW's point to this event as a milestone in their development and refer to it as a 'Bright flash of light.'

The clock on this one is still ticking. As more and more of these people pass away, it becomes increasingly apparent that Rutherford was mistaken and that this was no flash of light at all. Some adjustment to the 'Great crowd' teaching will be necessary and this will raise a number of embarassing questions, like, "Why be a JW at all?"

• engineer11
    engineer11

Forget 586/7 or 607, this is the truth folks.

Please please read this, as this is the one...

http://www.tangotango.org.uk/

That is the truth if ever I saw it!

Thanks for looking,

Mark

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit