did "true christians" make mistakes in the bible?

by homeschool 17 Replies latest watchtower bible

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

nope but then I didn't just misapply a scripture like you just did that refers to a time that from when the appostles were teaching and could never be applied to witnesses we are just to late in the day for it to apply to us. so nope I haven't changed my mind lol

my bad - okay I understand. BTW I'm going to the meeting tomorrow to listen to the special talk.

• Chalam
    Chalam

I do not understand that scripture. ?

OK, try this.

1 Corinthians 13:9-12 (New Century Version)

9 The reason is that our knowledge and our ability to prophesy are not perfect. 10 But when perfection comes, the things that are not perfect will end. 11 When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I stopped those childish ways. 12 It is the same with us. Now we see a dim reflection, as if we were looking into a mirror, but then we shall see clearly. Now I know only a part, but then I will know fully, as God has known me.

9 is self explanatory right? Prophets should get it right the vast majority of the time but they will not be perfect. Some details might not be quite right, sometimes the revelation right but they will weight in with a false interpretation. I have had this with personal prophecy over me. Someone had a vision for me at my house during a meeting. They saw me struggling with a big bag of fish. They though I was burdened and weight down with something. However, the revelation was correct but the interpretation was wrong. I had recently had a prophetic dream about fishing a few weeks before and indeed, the same thing was true here. The revelation was actually the same as this. Matthew 4:19 Matthew 13:46-48

10-perfection comes, that is paradise mentioned here, it clearly hasn't arrived yet Revelation 21:3-5

11-Paul uses a metaphor to help explain

12-Another metaphor to explain the difference between now and when perfection comes

The last sentence is fascinating, I will leave that as a cliff hanger! Now I know only a part, but then I will know fully, as God has known me.

All the best,

Stephen

• JosephMalik
    JosephMalik

What does NT mean? I guess I was wondering: could jw's use that as a reasoning as to why its okay to flip flop & make mistakes? ...because true Christians of the bible did also?

Homeschool,

NT means New Testament or the Christian Greek scriptures if you prefer. The changes that took place in them are enormous. The point being made by such error (which many fail to see) and is documented in them is the harm that was done to the Faith at the time and why this is not acceptable. This also shows us how to deal with such error and not be wishy washy about standing up for truth. After all we are disciples of Christ not men or organizations. We now are supposed to have that behind us and not still in front of us. But this is not the case yet. We are therefor given warnings to look out for such deceivers. Tit 1:10 For there are many unruly and vain talkers and deceivers, specially they of the circumcision: These texts teach us why such an evil servant (slave) that is doing such things will be cast out when our Lord returns.

Oompa said: there is not a single instance in the bible where god allows FALSE teachings to be taught as true....only to reveal the real truth later.....not one....would would be the point?

The world is full of false teachings that are being taught as true and this information was given to prepare us for it. The point is: this is why the responsibility rest upon us as individuals and not the teachings of others. Mt 12:37 For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned. We cannot complain and say "the Watchtower made me teach it or do it." This did not work for Adam and will not work for us in the Judgment. It works out like this: Ga 1:8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.

Joseph

• homeschool
    homeschool

Its been so long since i've been to a meeting....forgive the slow-ness of my brain. So, individual christians in the bible made mistakes....did the "true" earthly organization ALSO make mistakes as a whole? Like, did the organization make rules and then get reprimanded by god or jesus?

• JosephMalik
    JosephMalik

Like, did the organization make rules and then get reprimanded by god or Jesus?

Homeschool,

Jesus had to step in to appoint Paul, which was a correction. And you know about the unclean things that Peter experienced which changed his mind about the Gentiles coming in. That is how it was done at the time. The Apostles did take a firmer stance when it came to reprimand as you put it and we see that in the texts as well. But nothing like the kind of false teachings we have today.

Joseph

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hi homeschool,

The WT and all those who hold to their teaching will get one huge reprimand from Jesus (God) when judgement day comes for profaning His name and His sacrifice :(

His will is that they take His free gift of salvation, into the Kingdom of God and out of the kingdom of darkness :)

Till that great day, it is up to each of us what we do.

All the best,

Stephen

• gubberningbody
    gubberningbody

I'm not sure that the Jesus represented by the gospel writers would have approved of the idolatry made of the writings of Paul, Peter or John by later Christians. I'm not sure that when Paul, for example says "in my opinion" and "I also think I have God's spirit" that even he or any of the others thought that what they were doing locally in various congregations represented the express will of Jehovah. I read and I see sincere men and women who may or may not have understood Jesus properly. I'm also not certain as to what Jesus himself may or may not have known. There are so many odd incidents which defy moral explanations and seem anomalous. The case of Ananias and Sapphira, for example seem to suggest that Jehovah smote them, and yet that doesn't at all strike me as representative of what Jesus would have done, or even if these were culpable, what it was that made them so deserving of this divine intervention. It also contradicts the words elsewhere in the Bible when it is said of Jehovah in Lamentations 3:33 - "For not out of his own heart has he afflicted or does he grieve the sons of men." If this statement were true and the incident in Acts w/regard to Ananias and Sapphira were true, it seems that we have a paradox, because it would necessarily have been out of Jehovah's heart to afflict these deceptive two in this manner. I think the collective body of Christians need to reexamine scriptures in light of a reasonabl4e characterization of Jehovah, his son Jesus and others to determine just what is meant when it is said that the Bible is "God's Word". Jesus didn't seem to be at all interested while he was here on earth in the controversies which were ongoing as to what constituted scripture inspired by Jehovah, and that which was not. The Saduccees rejected all except the 5 books of Moses and the Pharisees accepted all manner of writings. Jesus didn't even bother touching any clarification of these things.

If there is any way to get a reasonable and simple representation of the Bible and what it is which is important to "be saved", I'm suspicious that Jehovah and Jesus are just leaving it up to each individual to knock or stop knocking to whatever degree he or she wishes and that "answers" which come to each one in confirmation are so buttery soft on the edges that no one can really know the answer to any of these things until later and if this is the case (which I suspect it is) we've just been given something with which to occupy ourselves until we die or the messiah arrives as the grand deus ex-machina to fix the whole mess.

I'm rather unsatisfied by ever explanation I've been given by anyone.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Reniaa:

nope but then I didn't just misapply a scripture like you just did that refers to a time that from when the appostles were teaching and could never be applied to witnesses we are just to late in the day for it to apply to us. so nope I haven't changed my mind lol

MY reply: LOL

2 Thessalonians 2:11
    For this reason God sends them a powerful delusion so that they will believe the lie

I guess this would be the 'greater fulfillment"- the Jehovah's Witness today LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit