did "true christians" make mistakes in the bible?

by homeschool 17 Replies latest watchtower bible

• homeschool
    homeschool

an elder met with my husband a few nights ago. i was working but my hubby recorded the whole thing. One thing that is totally stuck in my brain is talk about the "new light" and how things get brighter and can be clarified easier. What the .....??? I'm under the impression that the "true" religion should definitely grow, but shouldnt be making so many flip-flopped statements or mistakes.

I've read threads regarding the fact that the "light getting brighter" doesnt have anything to do with what the jw's say it means. Did "true christians" of bible times make big mistakes that were corrected? I am now agnostic and question whether the bible is acutally even true, hence the quotations marks around "true christians"...

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

The problem is their light does NOT "just keep getting brighter"... rather... it turns completely off and back on again! I know others here can help you with some of those cited examples of absolute flip flops published in the Watchtower lit.

As for the "true Christians" making mistakes and correcting themselves, the answer is yes... sortof. The bible accounts do not match up entirely, so make of that what you will. It is a very interesting ride, going down the "who wrote the bible" road... and who decided what was written actually WAS the bible, and why... (do some research on the lost books of the bible, as well.)

Have fun!

• JosephMalik
    JosephMalik

Did "true christians" of bible times make big mistakes that were corrected?

Homeschool,

Yes! Not just true Christians like James but the Apostles like Peter and John. Any doctrinal errors revealed in scripture that they made? Yes, like keeping the Law for salvation which they were doing. Paul corrected Peter over this and tried to correct James, John and the thousands of Jews in Jerusalem and elsewhere, a process that took Paul most of His remaining years. And Our Lord had to step in and correct the Apostles appointment of Matthias when He appointed Paul as His Apostle instead. They had the power to do many things but not to make an Apostle for someone else the way they did. We thus now know that only a personal laying on of hands or revelation is required for such an important appointment. Can we see any of this for ourselves? Yes but only if we start reading the scriptures for ourselves and put down the misleading literature that keeps distracting us from what is written and meant. Listen to the NT being read and what pops out plain as day? They are all about Jesus and His sacrifice everywhere and in all the gospels and letters and not about Jehovah where the WT puts its emphasis. That will come later. Now is very much of WT doctrine effected by any of this? Yes, most of it is so flawed that it is not redeemable just like the many books and magazines that they have printed over the years that wasted tons of wood pulp and resources. You can no longer teach the truth from them can you? In fact you can not teach the truth from their current literature but you just do not know it yet.

Joseph

• homeschool
    homeschool

Thank you, Joseph. What does NT mean? I take it you are a Christian but no longer a jw? I guess I was wondering: could jw's use that as a reasoning as to why its okay to flip flop & make mistakes? ...because true christians of the bible did also?

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hi,

Of course, Paul agrees.

1 Corinthians 13:9-12 (English Standard Version)

9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when the perfect comes, the partial will pass away. 11 When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I gave up childish ways. 12 For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I have been fully known.

All the best,

Stephen

• homeschool
    homeschool

I do not understand that scripture. ?

• oompa
    oompa

there is not a single instance in the bible where god allows FALSE teachings to be taught as true....only to reveal the real truth later.....not one....whould would be the point?

the change of circumcision was not a change....that law was for jews and they kept it....it was just not meant for christians........oompa

the whole noo lite thing was just for CYA

• reniaa
    reniaa

2 Thessalonians 2:11
    For this reason God sends them a powerful delusion so that they will believe the lie

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

For this reason God sends them a powerful delusion so that they will believe the lie

reniaa I so agree that the WTS are under a powerful delusion

Have you changed your mind about going back to JWs

• reniaa
    reniaa

nope but then I didn't just misapply a scripture like you just did that refers to a time that from when the appostles were teaching and could never be applied to witnesses we are just to late in the day for it to apply to us. so nope I haven't changed my mind lol

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit