Shunning is a Great Anti-Witness

by outofservice 23 Replies latest jw friends

• parakeet
    parakeet

There was a "sister" in my KH who I saw two to three times a week for 14 years when I was a dub. About 6 months after I stopped attending meetings, I saw her in a restaurant and said hi. She turned her head up and away as if I was a noxious odor, though I never DFed or DAed. That was 30 years ago. I never saw her again.

I was told last week that this sister had died. Not surprisingly, I felt absolutely nothing -- no grief, no sorrow, no regret. Dubs don't seem to realize that shunning is not an act of "love" designed to help straying dubs come back to the fold. It does the opposite -- it makes dubs look like the intolerant fools they are and drives the exiting dub further away.

• Mrs. Fiorini
    Mrs. Fiorini

Yes, shunning is the great anti-witness. I know the JWs in my family would love for all the "worldly" members of the family to convert to the WT. Do they realize they NEVER will after seeing the shunning with their own eyes? When JWs come to my Grandmother's door now they get an earful! I'm sure when they leave they're sorry they came.

Do they have any idea how awful this religion looks to our "unbelieving" family?

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

People who have had very little experience with religion recognise shunning as cultish.

I use it often.

It warns them against all cults, not just WT.

Cheers

Chris

• hubert
    hubert

"I said we will have to take care of her and you can read

Crisis of Conscience to her each night."

LOL ! Outofservice, that's a good one !

Hubert

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit