Why should I believe the Bible?

by wobble 49 Replies latest jw friends

• wobble
    wobble

I don't ask for myself,but my son said last night that he sees no reason to take any notice of a book written by men over many centuries.

Could the believers on here give me some ammunition to shoot across his bows to at least get him to consider the Bible's merits?

I am familiar with the arguments against he Bible,and my son is familiar with the WT defense of the Bible and is not convinced.

Thanks in advance,

Love

Wobble

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

I have no idea why you should believe the bible..Your son is a smart kid...............OUTLAW

• cluless
    cluless

Iam not a beliver in the bible. But I do find the teachings & sayings of Jesus interesting.

I would also suggest considering all the things Jesus was silent on. Ie he never judged people on there sexuality ect ect.

• abbagail
    abbagail

How old is this son of yours? Are you talking Age 10 or Age 20? Big difference as to what might help between those two ages.

Has he ever read it at all?

• wobble
    wobble

Dear Abbagail,

My son is thirty-one ! Which of course makes me very young when he was born (not). He is also University Educated, with a Degree in English, and is used to critical thinking. He has read widely, including Dawkins and Christopher Hitchins etc. so has many arguments from the rationalist point of view.

He was brought up as a Witness by us,never baptised,but read the Bible as little as a Witness does,since leaving (in his twenties) I don't think he has opened one, or has the interest so to do.

Thanks for your interest,

Love

Wobble

• abbagail
    abbagail

Yeah, wobble, doesn't sound good. Sorry about that!

I'll take Faith over Higher Education any day.

Since he's already reached that "mature" age with that mindset, it might take him reaching his senior years and bad health (or some other hardship) to make a swing around (not that I wish for it, but my point is people throw God away when they figure they can do it all themselves, until something happens to show them they can't control everything).

All I know is the Word of God really is "alive" and really can "exert power," but if a person has a closed heart (worse than a closed mind), I don't know what will turn them around. God knows, so maybe send some prayers to that effect in His direction?

Hopefully your son knows the WT and its interpretation of things is not the sole sum of what God and the Bible is all about. There's some awesome truths to be learned from the Good Book that most JWs/or exJWs as a rule have yet to even discover.

Is your son already married? Ha, just had the thought that if he met a "real" Christian lady who he admired or liked, there's always a possibility she could soften him up.

• abbagail
    abbagail

So is he an evolutionist, atheist, or just doesn't give any credence to the Bible?

Here's one article that google showed up:

Christopher Hitchens—blind to salamander reality

Photo by ensceptico, flickr.com

Christopher Hitchens

A well-known atheist’s ‘eureka moment’ shows the desperation of evolutionists

26 July 2008

http://creation.com/christopher-hitchens-blind-to-salamander-reality

The truth about evolution = another elitist ploy to erode the God given position of humans in the world, ie:

From Evolution to Eugenics to Genocide, simply put. If humans are just another "animal species," then there's no reason to think twice about wiping them out at will. That was basically Hitler's feelings, and the New World Order operates under the same principles.

There's actually quite a bit of good info out there about these things, I've seen some excellent documentaries on TV, but since evolution has never been my hangup, I never pay much attention to the arguments to refute those who have been seduced by it. Sorry!

Why do the nations rage?

And the people imagine a vain thing?

(Ps. 2)

This guy wonders the same thing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zs_sdWaqpZw

Click hard on the window and it will take you to the video...

ABCClassics
    June 27, 2007 Baritone Teddy Tahu Rhodes sings Why Do the Nations from Handel's Messiah with the Orchestra of the Antipodes and conductor Antony Walker. Available from ABC Classics on CD and DVD.

• AlexHall
    AlexHall

It doesnt seem that we will "know" if the bible is God´s word, untill the day we die. But there are some interesting things that are written down in the bible, that we might use to learn more about ourselfs and grow as humans. He should not belive in the bible, but instead weight every word and see what logic and good sence he can learn. The teachings of Jesus is often a teaching of love and understanding, something we can all use.

But that the bible is God´s word and automatic Holy, won´t help him in a search for "truth". An open mind is the best approach

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Why should one believe the Bible? Because the Bible says so.

Where does the Bible get its authority, the Bible?

The Bible lies.

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    Yeah, wobble, doesn't sound good. Sorry about that!

I'll take Faith over Higher Education any day.

Since he's already reached that "mature" age with that mindset, it might take him reaching his senior years and bad health (or some other hardship) to make a swing around

Wow. Simply stunning.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit