Can a person who changed his/her sex be an elder?

by outofthebox 10 Replies latest jw friends

• outofthebox
    outofthebox

Let's say you (yes you) are a man, but you changed your sex. And now you look like a woman. Now, you become a witness. Everybody think of you as a sister, but you pretty much use the bathroom standing. Can you become an elder (or elderette)? What will you need to do?

OOTB

• Priest73
    Priest73

I changed my sex to "some" to a f*c'k load. so no. I can't be an elder. (NOR WOULD I)

• Amazing
    Amazing

No. Our Body of Elders discussed this one time, and a woman who changed herself into a man must not be appointed as an Elder. If married, she/he must divorce, remain single, and not serve in any appointed position. We had such an individual in a nearby congregation, and the topic landed up on our agenda. Likewise, a man who is changed into a woman can not revert back and be an Elder ... he must remain a 'sister' but never be married.

I do not agree with that decision. If a person changes sex, that is their own business. I recently had a work friend change himself into a woman. He did a good job of the change. He eventually left and joined another company. But in JW land, it becomes the busines of the Elders.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

A person that changed their sex cannot be a JW unless they return to their sex of birth. This subject came up because we had a transexual Bible study in Hobart. S(he) caused quite a stir by using the womens toilets.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

Let's say you (yes you) are a man, but you changed your sex... but you pretty much use the bathroom standing.

If I changed my sex and became a woman, why would I still stand up to pee?

-Aude.

• AlexHall
    AlexHall

Haha, its impressive to see such things still concern the elders of the congregations. I love that they can find rules with no scriptual backing of the ruling. But why should I be supriced? this year as a shunned ex-jw should have taught me that much.

Btw, what constitutes as male/female in the congregation? Is it our chromosomes? or what we have below waist? Who decides this?

If you are born "between" sexes and the doctors decide this at birth, have they then created your gender and that you must stay like this? So many questions, and no answer...

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

I don't see why not - but I think the sis would need to use the bathroom sitting

edit: the apostle paul said come as you are

• Priest73
    Priest73
    edit: the apostle paul said come as you are

Damn. I always thought it was Nirvana.

• Amazing
    Amazing

JWfacts:

A person that changed their sex cannot be a JW unless they return to their sex of birth. This subject came up because we had a transexual Bible study in Hobart. S(he) caused quite a stir by using the womens toilets.

This is not universally true. The GB (Service Desk) will write back with varying advice. If the person can change back, that is, the person has not gone too far, then you are correct, and the congregation will require it based on the WTS advice. But one who has completed the sex change, that is had a penalectomy and conversion to having a vagina, can live as a 'sister' but must not ever be appointed to anything more than cleaning the KH, and is not permitted to marry. Of course, the type of person who has had a sex change would likely not want to be a JW in the first place, unless the person was psychotic ... because, the very nature of a sex change means that the person wants a level of freedom to be who they are, and then to turn around and get tied to a religion like the JWs would be a real course change.

• outofthebox
    outofthebox

Aude,

In this particular case the ex-man still has a certain male part, but the rest is all woman. That's why he still stands in the bathroom.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit