Intellectual Honesty - What it Means & Does not Mean

by Amazing 29 Replies latest jw friends

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

Amazing

Quietlyleaving:

• What argument do you speak?
    • Who is the individual that is supposedly made to look bad?
    • How is the individual cast in a bad light?
    • It is not a false argument to tell the truth and identify a false argument.

in reply to the first 2 questions this is the "person" I speak of

Recently, someone whom I said was being intellectually dishonest, took it to mean that I was accusing her/him of being deceptive.

in reply to the last 2 questions - from wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intellectual_dishonesty

The terms intellectually dishonest and intellectual dishonesty are often used as rhetorical devices in a debate; the label invariably frames an opponent in a negative light.

The phrase is also frequently used by orators when a debate foe or audience reaches a conclusion varying from the speaker's on a given subject. This appears mostly in debates or discussions of speculative, non-scientific issues, such as morality or policy.

• Amazing
    Amazing

Ohhhhh my oh my ... Quietlyleaving ...

Any university professor worth his/her salt would take issue with you for using Wikipedia as a source reference ... it is not peer reviewed, and contains too many opinions, and too little expert information.

You also failed to answer my questions ... which is a false argument form of "Slanting." Nothing in my statement you quoted belittled the person ... but rather made allowance for the person to misunderstand how intellectual dishonesty really works. Here is a more accurate definition:

Intellectual dishonesty is the creation of misleading impressions through the use of rhetoric, logical fallacy, fraud, or misrepresented evidence. It may stem from an ulterior motive, haste, sloppiness, or external pressure to reach a certain conclusion. - http://www.123exp-math.com/t/01704199459/

And you only quoted part of the definition used in Wikipedia ... so if you were being intellectually honest, you would have used the entire quote: Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intellectual_dishonesty: Intellectual dishonesty is dishonesty in performing intellectual activities like thought or communication. Examples are:

• the advocacy of a position which the advocate knows or believes to be false or misleading
    • the advocacy of a position which the advocate does not know to be true, and has not performed rigorous due diligence to ensure the truthfulness of the position
    • the conscious omission of aspects of the truth known or believed to be relevant in the particular context.

Rhetoric is used to advance an agenda or to reinforce one's deeply held beliefs in the face of overwhelming contrary evidence. [1] If a person is aware of the evidence and agrees with the conclusion it portends, yet advocates a contradictory view, they commit intellectual dishonesty. If the person is unaware of the evidence, their position is ignorance, even if in agreement with the scientific conclusion. If the person is knowingly aware that there may be additional evidence but purposefully fails to check, and then acts as though the position is confirmed, this is also intellectual dishonesty.

The terms intellectually dishonest and intellectual dishonesty are often used as rhetorical devices in a debate; the label invariably frames an opponent in a negative light. The phrase is also frequently used by orators when a debate foe or audience reaches a conclusion varying from the speaker's on a given subject. This appears mostly in debates or discussions of speculative, non-scientific issues, such as morality or policy.

You only quoted the last part of the discussion ... a form of slanting, and also intellectually dishonest. Intellectual dishonesty can be done through ignorance ... and in that case would not be an overt act of lying.

• minimus
    minimus

Why don't you just send this to Blondie? You do have her in mind, don't you? Or am I mistaken?

• Amazing
    Amazing

Minimus: The thread that sparked my thoughts to post this was the one about the "Pee Party" by JimmyPage Pee Party movement sweeps nation . However, my interaction with others helped me to develop the topic ... but they, whomever they might be, are not the topic. Intellectual dishonesty and its correct definition, including the various aspects of false argumentation are the topic.

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

You only quoted the last part of the discussion ... a form of slanting, and also intellectual dishonest.

arn't you being economical with the truth amazing

• minimus
    minimus

So you didn't have Blondie in mind??

• Amazing
    Amazing

Define what you mean.

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

Define what you mean.

You did not acknowledge that I provided you with a link to wiki when you accused me of intellectual dishonesty in not providing the whole article.

• minimus
    minimus

I like red herrings.

• Amazing
    Amazing
    You did not acknowledge that I provided you with a link to wiki when you accused me of intellectual dishonesty in not providing the whole article.

You only quoted the convenient part to your argument ... and that is, shall we say, similar to the methods of a certain religious publishing corporation known as the Watchtower Society. They too provide references, at times, but the impressions created are still false. One can look at the hundreds of references they cite in their anti-evolution book called "Creation." They are intellectually dishonest in how they do it ... that is make a partial quote, and then cite the reference. Whoopty-and-doo!

Sorry your arguement that you provided a link does not cut the muster.

I do have another obligation on my time right now .. I will take this up later.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit