Any Suggestions For An Out of Control Teen Into Sex, Drugs & Alcohol?

by minimus 41 Replies latest jw friends

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

In Georgia you can declare a child incorrigable and force them to get counseling through juvenile justice. The parents have to get counseling, too.

• Robdar
    Robdar

I suggest somebody get the kid involved in outdoor activities. When our pet rabbit sniffed out my son's stash, I started taking him kite flying, biking and hiking. I also started paying more attention to his association. The good kids got to go on adventures with us. The other kids faded away.

• yule
    yule

This problem isn't really new for some parents of today. But the thing is, there's always a reason why teens get involved in such inapproriate activities, mainly because they think no one cares or understands them. The bad company and the vices they have seems to be the only avenue for them to express themselves and become a part of something that understands them.

It's difficult to be dealing with out of control teens but there are different options that parents may consider. You have the choice to look at your current situation and do everything in your power to make it better. Know what is going on in your teen's life. The defiance you are seeing could be a result of an underlying issue that they don't know how to deal with and have been unwilling to talk about. If you can get them to talk, and lend an understand ear you may make great headway in their behavior. Therefore, knowing and understanding what is going on in your child's everyday world is very important. If all else fails despite your efforts to reach out, then it might be high time to consider counselling or tough love boot camps.. Serious teen problems may just need serious professional help. Your teen might hate you for it, but then again, it's more important to be offering them all possible solutions than just give up on the situation and wait for them to either hurt others or themselves more.

• designs
    designs

I sympathize. One of my two children got into heavy drug use, heroin and meth, we almost lost her. One night in ER they had to restart her heart 3 times. Months in a very good Clinic was the start of the turning point. She just celebrated 4 years of being clean and is now a great mother to our grandson.

PM me if you have any questions or just want to talk.

• sizemik
    sizemik

Wait . . . this threads bumped from 2 years ago?

• minimus
    minimus

Ahh, this thread brings back memories. This kid's 18 now. His mom was my longtime, off and all gf. I heard recently that he was arrested for smashing up a bunch of cars in a dealership, that he was involved as a drunken passenger while his drunk buddy was involved in a major accident.

He was arrested on a couple of other occasions too and his mom has a major drinking problem, got herself in trouble with alcohol, went for a short detox ans stopped drinking for a month and recently resumed. it's a sad situation and the truth is the kids don't have a chance in that environment.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Oh, bumped. Never mind.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

You can't give a child a fish, you have to teach him to fish. If he doesn't want to fish, don't give him any fish.

Alanon teaches to not "assist" the addict. Let them fall down, go hungry. Otherwise, you are delaying the process.

If the kid steals, the people around him need to do police reports. Family members & the police are usually enough to have someone committed to the State mental hospital.

His problems are too deep for non-professionals to handle.

Skeeter

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I work in a jail. They bring in ministers to study with the inmates every Wednesday night.

Everyone gets their own bible for their cell.

I see a lot of inmates read their bibles.

• Magwitch
    Magwitch

This kid needs to be in lockdown TODAY! What is the mother waiting for? There are wonderful facilities that his mother can put him in. My girls have it in writing, that the minute I susupect substance abuse, they will be on their way to 28 days of lockdown. There is not time to wait!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit