should Elders be held resposible......................

by KAYTEE 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Leprechaun
    Leprechaun

If you give a guy a book bag and a fine suit and tie he will think he is something shortly.

• rebel8
    rebel8

I dunno about being held responsible, but why wouldn't the elders take responsibility to correct their misake?

I'm sure there is a plethora of Asleep! articles on the subject. The Flock book also mentions their responsibility to set a good example, etc.

• sir82
    sir82

and a fine suit and tie

Well that right there shows you have limited exposure to JWs.

There's not more than a handful of "fine suits" in an entire District Convention!

• diamondiiz
    diamondiiz

I could never figure out how they come up with such high numbers for buildings and renos. If they use JW as suppliers (when possible) usually they'll get a discount. Labor most of the time is free, so where do they get these high costs of remodeling?

As for being accountable - well you don't question those appointed by the "spirit" or you may just have an apostate attitude! They should have a article titled "Questioning is a Disfellowshipping Offence!" But seriously, elders should bring any of the planned <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Cambria Math"; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:1; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-format:other; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:0 0 0 0 0 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman","serif"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; font-size:10.0pt; mso-ansi-font-size:10.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:10.0pt;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> expendituresto the congregation for a vote. There should be someone to second the motion and so forth, at least in Canadian congs. that I've been it's been presented like that.

• KAYTEE
    KAYTEE

Thanks for those answers,

Amazing.

The congregation could sue the Elders under common law, and perhaps win. Most congregations have a corporate charter that directs the Elders to obtain a vote from the congregation on financial matters,

When in my very last congregation the elders PURCHASED a new kingdom hall, they exchanged contracts BEFORE putting this motion to the congregation, only AFTER the vote did they say that the contracts had been signed. ( I have this on tape)

WHO AGAIN WOULD HAVE BEEN HELD RESPONSIBLE if the vote had gone the other way.

It was a hall of two parts the top part was used for the meetings, which meant that the disabled could NOT get up there to participate in the meeting.

They were given a T.V. downstairs and a microphone in which to answer in watchtower sessions.THIS I’M SURE WENT AGAINST THE U.K. DISABILITY ACT.

KT

• llbh
    llbh

The Elders are bound by UK Charity Law when carrying out their duties primarily, and they have little idea how they are legally responsible.

They are given a great deal of latitude with regards to how they can act with how they spend monies. They may well be open to being sued in this instance, but by whom, and why? Members of the congregation concerned are the ones who have suffered loss, but would they sue them? I doubt it. As for other parties, the obvious choice would be the UK Charity Commission. A person, even a non member could voice their concerns to them, and hopefully they would investigate. My instinct is that they remind them of how they should act as trustees of the congregation, and not sue them.

I must look up on the duties of officers in Charities again

Regards David

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

There was a situation in a local cong where an elder proposed getting rid of the lawn and adding this fake grass at some ridiculous cost. He happened to be the contractor with the expertise in it. He convinced the body and when it came to vote at the cong level it got shot down. Why? Well first the brothers presented the proposal as if the other congs had already approved it. They hadn't. 2nd, when publishers asked if other ideas had been entertained, they had to admit that they hadn't.

So in the end it was shot down and the cong was accused of having "jezebel influences". (That comment was aimed at a sister with construction knowledge and had asked several very important questions). After a brief war on the matter it was eventually dropped as it was so stupid, even the avg JW saw through it.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

To go along with Kaytee at another cong rebuild, I purchased and donated the sound system. With my knowledge and education in the audio engineering market, I did my research and budget. I was told "no", and they bought this inferior sytems at double the price per the GB's guidelines. I joked that the GB must have had a kickback and u would think I just took a dump in the middle of the KH.

• boyzone
    boyzone

Had a similiar situation at our hall when it came time for a refurb. The Society sent samples of colour schemes and told us to choose. All of them were yuk. The body of elders decided the walls should be deep pink. PINK! Enough to give everyone a migraine. The soft furnishings were chosen off the sample and they were blue patterned. Very expensive.

The sisters banded together and said no to the pink. You'd've thought the whole bloody world had caved in, that sisters DARED to question a decision of the Body of Elders!!

Thats where elders wives can be handy. The elderettes exerted their influence and suddenly the pink wasn't such a good idea after all and the elders had decided to change it to a softer shade. Funny that.

We still had to pay extortionate prices for the fabrics though. Of course, this was specially approved, divinely inspired, GB recommended fabric interwoven with holy spirit fresh from the Society. No wonder it cost a bloody fortune.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit