More Bad News

by Decided 32 Replies latest jw friends

• Decided
    Decided

Another one of my second cousins killed himself today. He was 42 and still a JW. He called 911 and shot himself while talking to them. A few months ago another JW who was my second cousin shot herself. Is this common in todays congregations? No one knows why he did this. I think I will go to the KH for his memoral service.

Ken P.

• Colton
    Colton

I think depression and alcoholism ranks high in this religion. It preaches doom and gloom.

• restrangled
    restrangled

I'm so very sorry Ken...

r.

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

I am so very sorry for your loss and the loss of your family.

I hope your cousin has found the peace and joy he was lacking in this life. Love and strength to your family.

Love,
    Baba.

• Barbie Doll
    Barbie Doll

I am so sorry for your loss.

• musky
    musky

I am very sorry that this happened. I would not necessarily say that it is a common thing in congregations. It is such a high stress world we live in now. Being a witness can definitely add to the stress I think, With high self expectations, impending gloom and doom. I feel bad he did not get the help he needed. From my own personal experience, I would say it was a combination of many factors. It would have helped me If I felt I had someone to talk to and help me sort out what was going on in my life. I felt alone and That was dangerous.

• garybuss
    garybuss

A younger than me guy I worked with in the 60's died two weeks ago. He must have smoked about 5 packs of cigarettes a day for about 50 years. He was 66.

Last week a guy I knew for years and used to ride motorcycles with, ended his life with a shotgun. He was 72.

This week a former brother-in-law finally left the Jehovah's Witnesses for good. He was 81. Memorial service is next week.

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Ken,

This is awful. What a tragedy.

I am so sorry, Ken.

Cam

• Lucky Calamity
    Lucky Calamity

I'm very sorry for your losses. I am sad to hear of this. Hugs to you and your loved ones.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I'm so sorry about this

On eof the things we know about suicide is that if a relative or close friend commits suicide it raises the risk factor of those connected people. When I was telling my doctor that my sister had commited suicide she immdeiately did a risk assessment on me. I had to smile because I knew what she was doing and was glad she was that careful. But I told her those thoughts stopped many years ago to for me and even then only arose because I felt so trapped.

Being a JW is such a "family" thing that it doesn't surprise me that the incidence of JWs commiting suicide is rising. The JW grapevine is bound to spread this along. Knowing anyone would be bound to raise the risk for vulnerable people. With the few external resources available to JWs and the continue pressures within it doesn't surprise me that many cannot see losing all their family and friends if they leave but they can't see their way to staying either.

For some suicide seems an easy way out or the only one.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit