Abortion

by Luo bou to 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Luo bou to
    Luo bou to

I know the WT says a sister can have an abortion if her life is endangered but what if she is raped Must she give birth to the child of her rapist?

• recovering
    recovering

are you sure that she can have an abortion if her life is in danger? I don't think you are correct unless this is "new light"

• Luo bou to
    Luo bou to

Yeh pretty sure it has to be an either or situation. Either the mothers life or the fetus. And its old light

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

It is in the Reasoning-Book, but it this states that the life of the baby or the mother must be endangered in the moment of birth.

• shopaholic
    shopaholic

If its not a situation where lives are in immediate danger, yes, she must give birth to the child of her rapist if she doesn't want to be disfellowshipped. Even if she has the baby and decides to give it up for adoption she will be heavily criticized and counseled unless its a JW family that adopts the kid.

• homeschool
    homeschool

My younger sister was raped at the age of 13 and an elder accompanied my father and me to where my sister was staying at the time. the elder helped my parents "see" that my sister should NOT be allowed to even take the morning after pill because that would be like having an abortion. And then she was reproved.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

homeschool

That is disgusting that she was reproved. The WT policy on this is disgusting.

After I had my second child (a high-risk pregnancy) the doctors told me I would never carry another child to term. If I did get pregnant I would have to consider the possibility of dying or miscarriage or gaspabortion termination of the pregnancy. I really didn't wnat another child. So my husband and I debated on who would get snipped. The doctors wanted do cut my cords while they were doing surgery to repair some damage.

But WT policy even on this issue was negative. It was interefering with the sacred nature of our bodies or some other absurd idea.

So we debated back and forth and thought that what would happen to us if one or the other died. I would never be able to have another child if he died and I remarried. He on the other hand might remarry and choose to have another child so it made no sense for him to defile his body. So we decided it would be me.

That made total sense but the whole nonsense of having to search the bound volumes for some guidance from the WTS was insane. It was none of their business. It was a medical decision not a WTS based decision. And I had 2 children who needed their mother alive

• ziddina
    ziddina

Yeeesh! The WTBTS's 2,000 B.C. Middle Eastern mentality on this issue pisses me off! Of course, overpopulation exacerbates the "signs of the times of the End" that they're always yowling about, so I can see how they - once again - would want to set people up to fail - fail to have the right to determine what actually happens to their own body...

Homeschool, that is absolutely vicious and idiotic of the elder to force your sister to risk pregnancy, not only the issue of carrying the offspring of her attacker (I say bad genes should be chlorinated out of the gene pool...!!), but as young as she was, carrying a child to full term was risky for her, too.

I was thinking about the issues of child molestation and rape in the WTBTS this morning - I realized when I was rather young that this whole B*S* about "must scream/don't have to scream" is such hypocritical idiocy when the females being molested/raped are in a system that DEMANDS absolute obedience and submissiveness. I saw this happen to a young sister in our own congregation; she was about 14, same age as I was, I thnk, and the elders were upset that she 'allowed' herself to get raped. My thought, as the elder explained to me the reasons for their punishment of her, was "she was just being obedient to a man, as we [females in the religion] have all been taught. So why are you punishing her???"

Personally, I support the right to abortion. I don't like abortion at all; I do agree that - into the second trimester - an abortion takes something that may have matured into a human being - takes a life. But religions (INcluding the WTBTS!) take livesall the time, as the WTBTS was fond of ranting about - look at all the religious wars... I had the 'tubal ligation' and was absolutely thrilled with it! No birth control pills, no life destroyed because CONCEPTION was prevented. However, I like birth control pills, too, because they work before the blob of tissue has grown much past the microscopic stage - definitely not a sentient being at that stage... I'm all for ACCURATE birth control education, even for young children, and forms of birth control that PREVENT CONCEPTION - condoms, diaphraghms with spermicide - tubal ligations. 'Course, only the condom has the added benefit of preventing STD's...

Pretty mature subject matter... Zid

• rebel8
    rebel8
    My younger sister was raped at the age of 13 and an elder accompanied my father and me to where my sister was staying at the time. the elder helped my parents "see" that my sister should NOT be allowed to even take the morning after pill because that would be like having an abortion. And then she was reproved.

I am completely nauseated by this story.

Why was she reproved? For getting raped?!

The "morning after pill" prevents conception! jws are allowed to prevent conception! It's not even against their own rules! Didn't they learn that at Awake University?

WTH!!!!!

• parakeet
    parakeet

The "morning after pill" prevents conception! jws are allowed to prevent conception!

I may be wrong, but I thought the morning-after pill prevented a fertilized ovum (conception) from attaching to the wall of the uterus for further growth. Fundies hate the morning-after pill. I thought it was because conception had taken place. but the pill prevented "the baby" from developing beyond a single cell.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit