rest home for old brothers and sisters

by Motema Bolingo 21 Replies latest jw friends

• boyzone
    boyzone

Financed, but not run, at least not by the rank and file.

Top down not bottom up

• edmond dantes
    edmond dantes

The care home in Blackpool was the original Jah Jireh home started by a Witness who owned a guest house.Because it is a charity it has to be run by a board of trustees. They began to expand operations into this niche market by opening further homes all this became quite lucrative as can be seen by their published accounts with fees being paid to members of the board of trustees , who are all Jehovahs Witnesses in good standing. The care home business is a booming industry with substantial assistance from the state and elderly infirm residents, in some cases, having to sell their homes in order to pay for their care. The guest house owner made a shrewed move from a declining holiday trade into a boom area of operations.

Allthough it is claimed that the business has nothing to do with the Watchtower UK it has been stated that an official from the London Bethel went to an opening of a home and he seems to have given it approval by being in attendance.

Of course all this charity work is fine but it makes a mockery of the Watchtower's spouted predictions during the last, and now this century. What a contradiction in the printed word and the reality. The infirm and elderly publishers and pioneers can now witness for themselves as to the real truth because it's staring them in the face here and now.

It would be interesting to see the letter circulated by the Holland Bethel and to hear the opinions from Brooklyn and read their spin on the matter.

• boyzone
    boyzone

I agree Edmond, it would be interesting to see the reasoning behind that letter. The Jah-jireh homes were once held up to me as an example of the true benevolence of the Society but once they read that statement on the website, they had to backtrack and admit it was just a private business run by a brother.

Just because a Society rep was at the opening of the first UK home doesn't mean the Society put any of their vast funds towards "looking after orphans and widows" no matter how many years these ones spent in WT service.

It seems to me that the Society want to bathe in the reflective glory these homes give without putting thier hands in their pockets or accepting any repsonsibility for the elderly ones

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

Didn't a member of the Governing Body finish his days in the Leyland Jah-Jireh? I'll see if I can find reference to it.

• diamondiiz
    diamondiiz

It's nice that some started this up, my question is "Is this charity making donations of any sort to WTS and if so how much?"

Seems WTS likes to have it's tentacles into everything and it itself is made up of various charities so that's why I ask.

• Mickey mouse
  • garybuss
    garybuss

If Jah-Jireh isn't run by Jehovah's Witnesses, how can they advertize that: Jah-Jireh is a charity in which Jehovah's Witnesses care for elderly & infirm Jehovah's Witnesses in a loving spiritual environment. ?? That'd be fraud.

I think Jah-Jireh is run by Jehovah's Witnesses, financed by Jehovah's Witnesses, cares for Jehovah's Witnesses and I'd want to guess . . . is a cash generating business benefiting Jehovah's Witnesses.

And who the heck is Barn owl Bill? Is dat brudder Barn owl Bill?

• diamondiiz
    diamondiiz

Thanks Mickey mouse for the link. This link also helped me find some info on the Watch Tower financial in UK which I'l just starting to look at which is interesting - great addition to new finds related to WTS business.

Also the Jah-Jireh report points to building a Kingdom Hall as one of its objectives, I wonder if that space or money towars the building would be borrowed from WTS or would it be donated from Jah-Jireh charity and the KH could be set up as a seperate charity with funds being donated to WTS just like KMs run in Canada?

great link thank you very much ;)

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Didn't a member of the Governing Body finish his days in the Leyland Jah-Jireh? I'll see if I can find reference to it.

Ewart Chitty who was GB but removed due to his indiscretions died in the Leyland, Preston UK Jah Jireh - that is correct - in the early 1990s

• edmond dantes
    edmond dantes

Hi Gary,

Barn Owl Bill is a a person who lives in the area where the Lancashire care homes operate and he takes care of injured birds of prey, by the way of coincidence he operates a registered charity as well, but this charity concerns itself with the care of wild life , particulary the feathered variety.

I imagine he was brought in to give out instruction and entertainment to the residents on all aspects of preying as apposed to praying . By law the care homes have to give their residents some form of stimulus other than the reading of the Society's publications so what better way than spending an afternoon in the care home back garden with someone flying the odd barn owl ,bald eagle and hawk and giving a few demonstrations on swooping down from a great height on to an unsuspecting victim. Unfortunately lions and tigers were not allowed in the garden on the grounds of health and safety. I imagine the instruction went along the lines of ," Brothers and sisters, this will give you some idea of what you get to do when you get out of this place and into the New World ,so pay particular attention to brudder Barn Owl,and for your own safety don't be eating those meat paste sandwiches during the fly past .

I think, by the way, that the Society must have some kind of input into the running of these care homes because of the Kingdom Hall attachment . But the Governing Body are canny, they will not be seen to be involved just in case it goes pear shaped, then they can always turn round and say, "nothing to do with us."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit