rest home for old brothers and sisters

by Motema Bolingo 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Motema Bolingo
    Motema Bolingo

We have just seen a lettre sent by the Bethel in Holland (Emmen) to the Dutch elders.

The document is dated 14 April 20008

The Society doesn't allow that a member of a congregation takes the initiative to open a rest home

for old brothers and sisters.

We wonder if the instructions were local or spread worldwide.

Thank you for your help

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

Interesting. There are a number of homes for JWs in the UK: http://www.jah-jireh.org/

• Heaven
    Heaven

I'd have to ask my father. I figure if you wanted to go ahead with this that you'd have to get the blessing of the WTS (if you're a JW). There are retirement facilities available in Ontario, Canada. Here is their website: http://www.jah-jireh.on.ca/about-us.html I imagine there is a waiting list. If what I have been reading is accurate about the world's population aging, the WTS may have to reconsider the policy you have outlined.

My financial advisor said retirement homes would be a good investment vehicle as the need just keeps on growing! Haven't done any research on the ROI as the idea doesn't really appeal to me. I tend to be wary of these places in general due to stories from friends who have relatives in them as well as news reports.

It is my understanding that, statistically, elderly people do much better staying in their own homes. As my father ages I keep an eye on him as I expect some services may be needed. I am not sure I could co-habitate with him but it may have to be considered. Maybe there is an opportunity here to start a specialized service to ensure people can stay in their homes but have their needs taken care of (instead of putting them in a foreign place that isn't their own). We do have some community services available in Ontario for the elderly but they are quite minimal, especially if they know that those needing the services have family available. We utilized these services when my mom was still alive.

It has been my experience that as the level of health of the elderly person deteriorates, the local JW congregation will make arrangements to accommodate this, especially if the elderly are 'house bound'. Heaven

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

"It has been my experience that as the level of health of the elderly person deteriorates, the local JW congregation will make arrangements to accommodate this, especially if the elderly are 'house bound'."

That's not my experience. The more my parents health began to fail, the more the local congregation lost interest in their welfare--even though my father was an elder and they only lived a mile for the Kingdom Hall. Even when they went door to door in their neighborhood, they would skip their house. Then at my father's funeral discourse, the elder mentioned how their home was a "hub of activity." ....only when they were healthy and useful to the congregation.

• Motema Bolingo
    Motema Bolingo

Thanks for your comments.

No, I am not a JW, but an ex-JW - My (French) website : http://www.aggelia.be

What surprises me are the instructions given in the letter written by the Dutch Bethel.

The Society says that those who open such a rest home will lose all their privileges in the congregation (an elder will be dismissed)

Does it mean that those belonging for instance to http://www.jah-jireh.org/ have lost their privileges ? Are they still Jehovah's Witnesses ?

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

Montema Bolingo, please check your private messages.

• Heaven
    Heaven

Bonnie-Clyde: I am sorry to hear your parents were treated in this manner. Sounds like different congregations have different priorities. Maybe my parents' situation was unique?

I do know that once my mom's health got to a certain point, it was not good for her to have the JWs come as she was having a very difficult time with new people (my father was living in a new area at this point and my mother did not know any of the members of his new congregation). She suffered from dementia including short term memory loss. I am grateful she didn't live long enough to reach the point where she didn't recognize her family.

• garybuss
    garybuss

• Jah-Jireh is a charity in which Jehovah's Witnesses care for elderly & infirm Jehovah's Witnesses in a loving spiritual environment.

* Live TV link to Kingdom Hall meetings

* We are holding a Summer Garden Party during August 2008 at our Blackpool home, with it's newly re-furbished garden. There will be a barbecue, and bouncy castle, and a special guest - Barn owl Bill.
  • boyzone
    boyzone

The Jah-jireh homes are NOT run or financed by the Watchtower Society, they are at pains to stress this on the Jah-jireh UK website.

http://www.jah-jireh.org/about.htm

• garybuss
    garybuss

But . . . is the Watchtower Society run and financed by Jehovah's Witnesses?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit