Which laundry detergent do you use?

by asilentone 23 Replies latest jw friends

• Violia
    Violia

Does anyone know where to buy the old phosphate detergent? The phosphate free detergent is so bad.

• StAnn
    StAnn

I make my own, also, but I make liquid soap because we have hard water here.

1 bar Fels Naphtha soap, grated

1 c. Borax

1 c. Washing Soda

In a large saucepan/dutch oven, put grated soap in six cups of boiling water, turn down heat and stir with a slotted metal spoon. DON'T use a whisk, as the soap will suds up too much and overflow. Keep stirring until soap is dissolved. Takes me about 15 minutes.

Take a 5-gallon bucket (with a lid) and put about 4 inches of the hottest water to come out of your tap in the bottom. Add the Borax and stir until dissolved. Add some more hot, hot water and the Washing Soda and stir until dissolved. Pour in the hot dissolved soap and stir for about a minute. Fill up the bucket with more hot, hot tap water until you are about 4 inches from the top of the bucket. Stir, stir, stir with the slotted spoon for about 2 minutes. Put the lid on and leave it to sit overnight. Next morning, it's ready. Stir it about 30 times before using it. It doesn't look like normal liquid soap, may be a little bit lumpy, but it works great.

I use 1/3 cup in both top loaders and in front loaders. It's a low sudsing soap so it works great in front loaders.

Put 1/4 cup white vinegar in rinse for front loader, put 3/4 cup white vinegar in rinse for top loader.

The only drawback is that it doesn't get whites bright and white, as it has no brighteners added, but it does kill all odors and does a good job cleaning.

I have a family of 5, do 4-5 loads of laundry a day, have an adult child in diapers so keeping ahead of the pee smell is very important to us, and this stuff works.

It costs me about $2 for a 5 gallon bucket, which works out to about 1.5 cents per load. A bucket lasts me 2-3 months.

HTH,

StAnn

• SacrificialLoon
    SacrificialLoon
    Does anyone know where to buy the old phosphate detergent? The phosphate free detergent is so bad.

A lot of places have banned phosphates in detergent products because it's a potent fertilizer, and will cause algal blooms and other aquatic plants to overgrow and damage the environment.

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/PTLK/1620.html

• StAnn
    StAnn

Violia, the phosphate detergent is illegal now. I doubt you can buy it anywhere.

StAnn

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit