My story in the Monticello Times

by Shepherd Book 32 Replies latest jw friends

• Shepherd Book
    Shepherd Book

I took the advice of some here and "went to the press". Here's the resulting article: http://www.monticellotimes.com/articles/2009/04/09/community/879zimmerman.txt

I think it turned out rather well.

• ziddina
    ziddina

Excellent article. Well-written, fair, balanced. Doesn't mention that it involves the JW religion until the 2nd or 3rd paragraph, which may draw JWs into reading the whole thing and realizing just how unfair the situation is, and how petty, cruel, and unloving it makes the JWs look. I am sorry for your situation, but am glad that you still have some extended family members that you can form a family with. I was closer to my dear father-in-law (now deceased) than I ever was to my nasty, battering, JW father, even before the shunning started. IMHO, a family member who follows the JW edicts and shuns is not really family - there are many ways of showing support w/o approval of your course of action, if they are truly loving...

• wobble
    wobble

As I said on another thread,if my familypractice the unscriptural, hatefull shunning,they are not worthy of our familial love.

so far they have all been O.K,but I missed my first memorial tonight so we shall see.

Shepherd Book ,great article,well done, you are brave. (Are you related to one Bob Zimmerman?)

love

Wobble

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

Wow, this is This is very well written and accurate. The picture will probably tip the dubs off when they first see it. But it doesn't matter, many will read this out of curiosity. It makes me think about using some of my connections here in NYC to get a story in some of the local papers.

Isaac

• Shepherd Book
    Shepherd Book

Thanks guys.

It's a pretty good article, but he got my son's age wrong - we celebrated his SECOND birthday. And he's 3 now, not two.

wobble - Bob and I are both from Minnesota, but alas, no relation (no close relation, anyway - he might be my ninth cousin or something like that).

Isaac- if you live in NYC, you should DEFINITELY get something into the local papers.

• undercover
    undercover

Excellent article.

Well written and while damning to the JW idea of disfellowshipping and shunning, it does not seek to discredit the religion...it seeks to show how one can recover from the damage of a stressful situation like this.

Of course most dubs are going to refuse to read it when they see what it's really about, but maybe a few will read it and can objectively think about the consequences of thinking for oneself in such a controlling religion. Even better, non-dubs will read this and realize that if they want to keep their family intact, they'll shun this religion.

I love how the arcticle ends, suggesting people at the door to ask JWs just what would the by getting into by getting involved with them.

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

Fantastic article.

• watson
    watson
    “I guess, when they knock on your door, ask what you’d be getting in to. That’s my advice. See what the answer is,” he said.

Simply and effectively stated.

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

Very well written. I hope it's an eyeopener for anyone considerering studying with the Witnesses.

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

Good job SB!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit