DATELINE TONITE Children whipped in church

by Trotafox 12 Replies latest jw friends

• teejay
    teejay

The children had bruises and scaring all the way up their legs, butt and back.

Based on that, my mom was a world class abuser and it had nothing to do with religion. Maybe this is a cultural thing, where blacks more lkely (and often) believe in corporal punnishment and whites believe in "time outs" and "going to your room and thinking about what you just said/did."

I can't help but recall the reasons for spanking that the preacher listed:

1. Talking back to your parents

2. Being disruptive in class

3. Using foul lanuage to anyone, even peers.

Personally, I don't believe a thinking, creative parent needs to ever hit a child, even with their hand. I've never hit mine. Still, trying to be objective and viewing the program in the context of my own upbringing, I had a hard time finding fault with the pastor or the parents approach. I had a HUGE problem with the State breaking up the family the way it did.

I have little sympathy for the one young lady who sadly (for the cameras) recalled having received a beating lasting 30 minutes (a laughable claim) for simply having talked back to her parents. Hell, in my neighborhood growing up, the beating wouldn't have lasted 30 mins (you'd be surprised what can be done with a good switch and 30 or 40 seconds) and she would have, in the words of the boss on Cool Hand Luke: "gotten her mind right."

Like I said before, I hope the Dateline program on the very serious issue of pedophilia makes a stronger case. That program last night was a sham, and a shame.

• Trotafox
    Trotafox

Teejay: My sympathy to you in being raised in such a fashion. Belts and blood are not my thing. My upbringing was nothing like that so it's hard for me to relate. I do not agree with the preacher encouraging that kind of treatment in church and to that extent. I do not agree with 8-hour preaching sermons that go on into the night and deprive children of their sleep so they cannot attend school the next morning. Ridiculous. The pastor was ridiculous. The people are ridiculous for even putting such faith in that stupid preacher. If he told them the Bible said to jump off a bridge, they would probably do it. Sound familiar?

As for the State, certainly I agree it was a horrendous scene to be sure. However, when you have child abuse going on that endangers children, just exactly how are you supposed to remove a child from that environment? Pretty please give me your children so we can protect them from the treatment you and your preacher have been subjecting them to? Sure. That would be real productive. The children were frightened because no matter how badly they are treated, their parents are their parents and their home is their home. They do not want to be taken from it. They cannot comprehend what is happening to them and they are frightened.

Arranged marriages at 14 to keep them from having children out of wedlock? Gimme a break. The State's not the problem here. A cult-like Preacher with too much power, control, and influence over parents is the problem.

There...I got that off my chest. Any comments anybody?

Trot

"Wicked men obey from fear; good men, from love".... Aristotle. You can love and obey Christ without intervention from an organization.

• bluesapphire
    bluesapphire

BX, my thoughts exactly! I just finished telling my husband the same exact words you said and then I read your post.

But you know what else we joked about: can't you just hear loyal dubs saying, "Look, the media is instigating the beast to attack religion. We're closer than ever .... oh I better pick out my house ...."

We were laughing hard about that. And then all of a sudden it's their beloved "Society" on the air.

I'm getting excited! Aren't you!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit