DATELINE TONITE Children whipped in church

by Trotafox 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Trotafox
    Trotafox

DATELINE
    Friday, Dec 14, 9:00 p.m. ET
    Kids being torn from their parents. Why? Because they were whipped, with their parents' permission, in of all places--church. Authorities disagreed, and put dozens of the kids in protective custody. Who's really looking out for the kids?

If this has been posted...my apologies. Just got home and went directly to Dateline. Will be watching. Anyone else?

Trot

"Wicked men obey from fear; good men, from love".... Aristotle. You can love and obey Christ without intervention from an organization.

• biblexaminer
    biblexaminer

I was telling Hawkaw about this on the phone the other day. I think Dateline is PRIMING THE PUMP...

• Trotafox
    Trotafox

Just finished watching DATELINE. A small community Baptist church in Atlanta conducts child beatings (for disciplinary purposes) everyday in the church services. Children are hung by arms and beat with belts leaving severe scarring. Usually performed by the parents or relatives and continue until the preacher says its enough (sometimes 1/2 hour). The preacher sometimes conducts marathon church services lasting 8 hours and causes the kids to miss school the next morning. In order to curb fornication amongst the children, he arranges marriages for the children when they reach 16 and orders the parents to send the children across the border to get married. They gladly follow his instruction. He states he is acting according to Bible principles (sound familiar?).

The State has taken away more than 41 children of the congregation and placed them in foster care. Judge said basically the parents are very good parents (???) except for the beatings, arranged marriages, and allowing 8-hour sermons. He said if they stopped, he would return the children. The parents refused! Battle still going on. They LOVE their preacher............

SICK PUPPIES

Trot

"Wicked men obey from fear; good men, from love".... Aristotle. You can love and obey Christ without intervention from an organization.

• somebody
    somebody

thank you for the post,Trotafox.

after I saw your post, I watched it too. If I remember correctly, arranged marriages were for some who were 14 yrs old, becausethe age limit to get married in Georgia is 16. I could be wrong, so if anyone else watched it, jump in. And the reason for it was to not take the chance of having children born out of wedlock.

it was a very hard show to watch. the beatings some CHILDREN endured in front of the whole congregation must have been so terrible that I can't even imagine the pain. they were beat with belts or swithes till blood was drawn. and the members insisted that it was just discipline. it was downright cruelty to children. it made me sick to know that this still goes on.

on the other side of the coin, I did think that the state people who took the children away from their homes, used exessive force. there must have been a better way so as not to scare the crap out of all those kids. It's hard to draw a line, but the most important thing was the safety of the children, and that's why they removed them from the homes till it was all investigated.

thank you again for posting that the show was airing. I would have missed it otherwise.

peace,
    somebody

editing t add this: did you catch the parents of the ex-member who was 16 when she recieved a beating so bad that she passed out? and the parents said that she was nothing but trouble since she was born ( or a very young child)? I'd e-mail her if I could. my heart broke for her. can you imagine how she felt watching the show tonight with her parents saying that? I think it was her mother who said that about her, and her dad agreed. what a crying shame.

• Trotafox
    Trotafox

Somebody: You're right. I think the age was 14. I was typing on the computer and watching at the same time. That's what I get. It was a rather upsetting thing to watch. Unbelievable.

Trot

• Bang
    Bang

On Easter island while some folk acted greedily, the natural resources were being depleted, so to balance nature they made a stone god, and the others (and children) were subject to it, and their rule. When the attempted balance eventually didn't work, they all died - it's not a good idea for people to evolve into fear of the stone god, it's kind of a 'dead' end in the evolutionary tree.

I wonder if the stone god thing is evident in the attempt to balance American / western lifestyles. To save face a balance is attempted by the f***ing self-centered who can only keep the god in mind when allocating blame for suffering. It's even said that the stone god will fix the mess that's made and get rid of the 'wicked' who did it - and when ? - well, who knows the ways of the stone god - but maybe some do - those who cut it. They'll never admit that suffering exists "because of the likes of us".
    What they will admit is, "it's the 'wicked', and it's the way of the stone god to 'kind of' put up with them a bit for now".

The stone god is hard and cut with a lot of effort by human hands, outlasting generations, and of course the friends of the god, those who cut it, usually know what it wants - and they can see how it's ways don't change.

Bang

• ARoarer
    ARoarer

Trot, I did not have a chance to see DATELINE but apparantly the story that they did on this behavior in the church against the poor children by the parents and church leaders is something that is common in all abusive cults. Hurting the children. Disgusting. And to do it in the name of a god with the approval of the parents. I guess when you get right down to it they are all the same as the ancient Israelites sacrificing their kids to Marduc. They in this case are Baptists and Jehovah's Witnesses do it for Jehovah. Thanks Trot for the post.

• teejay
    teejay

I hope that when Dateline's story on the JW/pedophile issue comes out it is more damning of the Society. The way I saw the story last night, the church's pastor, the parents and especially the children forcibly taken from their homes were all victims of the State.

One or two disgruntled, disrespectful teens did little to make the case that anything truly bad was going on. Even the prosecutions (the State's) own lawyer admitted that he could see little evidence of abuse.

• Angharad
    Angharad

Sickening

• rollercoaster
    rollercoaster

The program did show pictures of the abuse. The children had bruises and scaring all the way up their legs, butt and back. The judge said the parents could only spank them with their hand and only on the buttocks.
    I think just by seeing the preacher, people will consider him not right in the head!!!!
    RC

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit