10 years since I've been online - how the JW community has changed

by truthseeker 19 Replies latest jw friends

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

It's been ten years since I first got connected to that Net thing.

I remember (not fondly) the old days of AOL dial-up, listening to the peculiar chirping noise that meant I was connected and then logging on to my favorite JW sites - at that time it was H20 and Witnesses.net.

I was three years too late for H20 as it was just starting to go downhill in the quality of postings.

Witnesses.net initially started out tame but suffered the same apostate malaise that all well-intentioned dub forums start out with - too many people asking too many questions. It disappeared sometime in 2000 I believe.

Back in '99 SilentLambs wasn't around and the child abuse issue was not at the forefront of anyone's mind, only being discussed online.

WT subscriptions were still available, the public talk was an hour and book studies were held in private homes! (OK, I know this only stopped as of last year)

The Daniel book was released in the summer of 1999 and there was much speculation on the identity of the King of the North. We were still using the "Organized to Accomplish our Ministry" to prepare for talks.

In November of that year the Society released their Kingdom Ministry guide to the Internet, email and chatrooms, with the intent to discourage anyone from using these and making Society websites. At that time JW online dating didn't exist as it does today and there was no counsel for it.

Ten years later, we're in the closing years of the first decade of the 21st century.

So much has changed since then - the generation teaching has changed again to mean the anointed, the 1935 date is gone, public talks are 30 minutes, the book study is now the bible study combined with the school and service meeting.

The xJW community has grown and grown - we have our long timers here who were at the forefront of exposing JWs, we have our researchers and scholars, our debaters, apologists and trolls not to mention the "sands of the sea" - the unknown number of lurkers who log on and read this forum.

The major teachings, having been thrashed out and dissected here hundreds of times and are required reading for all the newbies who want to break free of JW shackles and understand why the JW teachings are flawed and unworkable.

There has been a gradual decline on this discussion board and others regarding JW teachings as most of what is needed has already been talked about to death and is available in Lady Lee's "The Best Of Series"

I think much of the focus now is in helping our loved ones, family and friends to leave the Watchtower and on continuing to expose the false prophet nature of the Watchtower Bible & Tract Society.

ExJW meetups have proliferated and there is something for everyone, whatever their belief or lack of it.

Due to various circumstances, some of us never really developed the social skills we needed to cope with leaving the truth and we now need them to be comfortable in our dealings with others and to make new friends.

Regardless of where we were born and when, what we look like, our interests, experiences all of us share one common bond - we were all Jehovah's Witnesses at one time and we all ate at the same "spiritual" table. We all considered one another brothers and sisters. Perhaps there's still an element of that bond, real or imagined that we can carry with us as we begin or finish our journey out of the organization.

Did anyone else log on in '99 and what have been your reflections since then concerning the exJW and JW community?

• snowbird
    snowbird

Hi, Truthseeker.

I started lurking here in 2000.

I still remember RedHorseWoman and the poster with the over-sized Santa hat on a mouse avatar. Waiting, I believe was the screen name.

I've come a long way since then. I joined this site in 2007 and haven't looked back.

The WT has been thoroughly revealed for what it really is: A false prophet whose only interest is self-preservation.

Sylvia

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

Back in 1992 or so, I would log on to Prodigy to talk with other JWs. We wouldn't use the religion section because it was full of naughty apostates. Instead we would post somewhere in the Home/Life (?) section...

I later also joined GEnie to talk with more JWs there. I don't think I had that service for very long; it was pretty horrid (not that Prodigy was any better).

Maybe around 1995 I joined AOL. What a POS. I switched to real Internet access later that year.

In 1997 or so I got on a JW email list called Fellow Workers. I left the troof in 2002 but was still on the list until early 2003. There were a couple really intelligent dubs on that list that I still think about. I can't help but wonder if/when they'll exit the org.

I also had joined a Yahoo Group called "t-tools"... it was dedicated to software applications for JWs. I posted there because I wrote a piece of software that many JWs still use to this day. I was kicked off when I left the troof.

JWD was the first ex-JW board I started posting on. I tried a few other boards over the years, but this is pretty much the only place I post.

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Sylvia,

Thanks for your experience! It's been a long ride and you're right, the situation the WT is in now is one of self-preservation. Time and time again, the passing of time has proven their prophecies unworkable.

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Wow drwtsn32, you've gone back to the pre WWW days. That's an interesting experience!

I used to have one of those JW newsletter subscriptions. I remember downloading the JW applications to record field service time and actually used it for a few months until I realized it was much easier to stick with the paper and pen method.

Would you remember what "those naughty apostates" were discussing back in 1992?

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    Would you remember what "those naughty apostates" were discussing back in 1992?

Not specifically. I remember when I first joined Prodigy I stomped into the religion section and confidently declared myself a JW, and that if anyone had any questions they could contact me. I was so naive. :) Anyway one person contacted me and said some things that disturbed me... I don't remember what they were, exactly. I shared it with the JWs and they just said "You know, apostates will make stuff up just to try and trip you in your faith." That satisfied me at the time so I could dismiss whatever was said.

I remember downloading the JW applications to record field service time and actually used it for a few months ...

Interesting.... :)

• rebel8
    rebel8

It's cool to hear about all that. It's great to witness growth firsthand.

public talks are 30 minutes, the book study is now the bible study combined with the school and service meeting

Young whippersnappers today have it so easy. Well I remember when I had to walk 10 miles uphill both ways to the 1-hour public talks......

(srsly, a few of those things I didn't know. Wow, they have really lightened up.)

• mouthy
    mouthy

with leaving the truth I havent left the tiruth though I got kicked out of the Lie..
    Interesting post.I have been here 7 years,I am one of the Unintelligent ones

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Hey Mouthy,

You're very intelligent! Don't knock yourself!

• jws
    jws

I've been on this board 6 years apparently. It almost seems like every issue has been dealt with and nearly every question has been asked. And it seems like the board has slowed down. Maybe some went to other sites when this one sounded like it was going to close. It's still interesting to hear the stories and keep up with what the JWs are up to from time to time.

I left in '91 when the www wasn't around to look up stuff. I had to mail-order Crisis of Conscience and Carl Olaf Jonsson's book. A few years later, after the web came around, I was curious and found sites about JWs. I think it was right about the time of the generation change in '94 or shortly afterwards. But never stumbled across a board like this. I kept tabs on the JWs from time to time because my dad and sisters are still in and it's nice to have a heads up if they're suddenly going to start treating you different because of the latest KM. And I kind of liked shocking them that I knew things before they did. Leave them wondering how an apostate gets his info, let them think there's some high-ranking apostate disseminating top-secret info from inside Bethel.

I found this board and it was great to be able to interact.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit