Does the rapid end of paper news forbode a crisis for the WT?

by jamiebowers 41 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

According to this article, not all papers will be gone, and some that are gone was due to mismanagement more than the bad economy: http://www.slate.com/id/2215154/?GT1=38001

That being said, I'm sure the WB&TS will do whatever is most profitable for them, as usual.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

well paper news is so old school. It's become more of a cover for the arts and politics than current news. Honestley I don't read the LA Times for news. I read it for political commentary and the arts. News is too easy and free now for paper mediums to compete with

• beksbks
    beksbks

The problem Wha, is that the only mediums that actually hire those serious story getting journalists, are papers. That's where all the internet news folks get thier stories. We will definitely see a dent in democracy when we lose newspaper journalists.

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

The WTBTS book publishing corporation will do whatever is the most profitable, ironic if it is supposed to be non-profit.

An example, a former friend of mine (most active JWs are "former" friends apparently) is still at Bethel after 20 years. He started in shipping and then Bethel trained him in electronics. For a long time he was in tape duplication. A few years back he told me there were days when they could not get the actual tape because there were only two manufacturers left and one of them was going out of business. (I don't know about the veracity of this claim, I found at least one manufacturer of tape in China). My former Bethel friend has since been moved to other areas from Brooklyn to Walkill. I have no idea if he is still there or not. He is approaching the magic age for layoff moving to where the need is great.

Not long after he told me that, WT ended cassettes and videocasettes. Now it is CDs, DVDs and MP3s. The good thing about digital media is that 90% of the cost is in producing the first copy (writing, recording, production, etc.) Each additional copy is in the relatively small cost of the media. With MP3s, that media cost is eliminated except for the cost of maintaining a server to hold the MP3 for download. Eliminated is shipping, postage, packaging, storage costs.

The bad thing about digitizing things is that the original can be changed, edited, altered. In the case of newspapers, paper copies serves as an archive of the historical record. With the Watchtower Society, it is an archive of all of the flip-flops of New Lightâ„¢ versus Old Lightâ„¢.

This development is perfect for the Watchtower Flip Flop Society. Cut costs, hide change. The Sheeple Sisters love the new convenience of downloading Kingdumb Melodies onto their iPod while working out at the local gym or studying at the local college handing out cookies at the Quick Builds

Snakes ()

• oompa
    oompa

WT will have wi-fi implants or jacks in the neck of every dub soon linked to a satellite or their holy spirit rebroadcast directly......they are cutting edge........oompa

• Tired of the Hypocrisy
    Tired of the Hypocrisy

my paper, the Fresno Bee just laid 63 workers and took the daily funnies off color and went back to black and white to cut costs. They are forecasting an end to the newspapers as we have known them and are promoting a weekly E-Subscription at $2.76 per week. I imagine the wbts would probably do the same thing.

• Tired of the Hypocrisy
    Tired of the Hypocrisy

Whoops, Laid OFF 63 workers...LOL

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

I could see them making the magazines available on CD or download for sure. Then they could hand out "codes" to download the pubs at the door. LOL.

• willyloman
    willyloman

"Whoops, Laid OFF 63 workers...LOL"

No, you had it right the first time!

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

The Watchtower printing presses have a GUARANTEED customer: the congregations.

Follows the $$$.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit