Special Post: 1 year anniversary on JWN - My intro finally posted

by Awakened at Gilead 50 Replies latest jw experiences

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead

I came on JWD a year ago tomorrow, having realized that JWs were not the truth, quite painfully, on March 29, 2008. I was here within a week, and within 2 months I was officially DAd by my congregation.

Ever since joining, I have never actually wrote down a comprehensive look at why I left the organization. What doubts caused me to leave? Why did a Gilead Grad leave what I once considered so precious?

I posted a detailed explanation on Freeminds... Read my story:

http://www.freeminds.org/blogs/a-gilead-grad-s-guide-to-leaving-jws/history-of-doubt-my-story-leaving-jehovahs-witnesses.html

And tell me what you think...

• snowbird
    snowbird

I think it is an all-too familiar story, but you tell it with such clarity and objectivity.

Any JW reading it would have to stop and think because I refuse to believe that the WT teachings haven't had a similar effect on others.

You did a great job.

Sylvia

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

Wow!

Thank you for your story. It takes me back to where my mind was when I really wanted to believe that it was the "truth" but the doubts kept piling up.

Like you, I had a lot of "what if they are wrong" thoughts for years. That, and the yes men and power seeking men I served with as an elder made me resign as an elder in 1991. It took another decade for me to thoroughly be convinced that I could not be a JW anymore.

Now we are free and all we can do is be here for those still floundering in the sea of mistruths. Hopefully, they can one day be totally free also. My heart goes out to all who have to compromise because of family that are blindly believing.

I salute you AAG.

HappyDad

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

Thanks for sharing your story Lance. It's stories like yours that counter all the stereotyping done by JWs about apostates. They love to claim "he wanted to do his own thing" or "he just didn't love Jehovah enough" but as often seems to be the case, you appear to have had a "crisis of conscience".

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

Congratulations on your first year anniversary,

hows it feel being free out of the mental slavery of the WTS. ?

Owning your mind is good feeling isn't ?

The big boys at the Tower must squirm in their pants with honest people such as yourself out and about.

• Robert7
    Robert7

Great stuff! I hope you can help others leave too!

• ThomasCovenant
    ThomasCovenant

Thank you for taking the time to write that account. I hope it helps others too.

Thomas Covenant

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Hi AaG,

Very interesting story. Your description of the "mental leaps" required to keep on teaching WT doctrine while "filing" your own doubts for later, until they become just too many is right on.

Thank you, happy JWN anniversary, and all the best!

• leftbelow
    leftbelow

Thanks for sharing that. I found myself having the same experiences and it took me much longer (8 years) to get to the point you arrived at in only one year. I don't post very often but I do like to read the stories of others. I have read many of your post and would really like to meet you sometime.

Congratulations on one year and all you have accomplished

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Lance,

Thank you. I enjoyed reading your story.

-LWT

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit