12 ex-JWs at church yesterday...

by passwordprotected 36 Replies latest jw friends

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

what is happeneing in your area that u feel may be causing all these to leave. I agree there's more because most ex JW's don't go to another church afterwards

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

@ wha happened - Whether you, or others agree or not, prayers on behalf of JWs attending the Kingdom Hall in Hilton Terrace, Bishopbriggs by Christians and at least one ex-JW.

Also, the example of some of us who have left and haven't gone off the rails as the JWs expect you to. Plus my wife and I were the first to attend a church, we then reported back to other ex-JWs in the area about our experience there which then encouraged them to attend church, and they told other ex-JWs about it etc etc.

I'm convinced that there are many in the two local congregations who are deeply troubled by our exit from the WTS and will be eaten up inside with worry, with questions and with doubt. There's only so long a person can endure that before they give in and ask questions. We believe that God will bring more out of the local congregations.

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

@ hobo ken ;

Think there's something wrong with your maths there pass, I'm sure quite a few of that number ARE Christians.......is it because some of those haven't had a second water baptism yet it doesn't count?

No, re-read what I wrote. Not all of the 9 local ex-JWs are Christians. You know that, Hobo Ken...there were at least two who aren't Christians. So, whether they become Christians or not remains to be seen.

• the research lady
    the research lady

This is wonderful news. Because so many Witnesses are starting to "wake up and smell the coffee" is the reason why we started our house church five years ago. Several of those who attend are former Witnesses who realised they did not have to leave God behind when they left the Watchtower org. We also have several active Witnesses who regularly attend. That seems hard to believe but, it's true. Thank you for sharing this story. Let's continue to pray for those who are still trapped in the org. We have two daughters who are still in who have nothing to do with us since we left so naturally we pray for them every day. Thanks again

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

Sorry to hear about your daughters. Quite why people who've never been JWs can't see the destructiveness of this 'religion' is stunning to me. It robs people of their youth, their eduction, their friends, their family, their children.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

That sounds exciting. I only live about 30 miles from you congregation but I haven't heard anything about Witnesses leaving en masse. But then I haven't seen many Witnesses recently. How big is Bishopbriggs congregation? If there was a mass walkout in my area I might be tempted to join them, but doing it alone does not appeal. Someone said a while ago a couple of families left in Stonehaven over the UN issue or something. Has anyone heard anything about that? Was that Anne Sanderson who came to your baptism from Falkirk? I have met her a couple of times, she is a friendly person.

• besty
    besty

not @ anybody in particular :-) ok well maybe partially in response to wha happened and passwordp

This is my rationalist response to the reason for there being a large number of ex-JWs in the audience for your baptism Mark. :-)

Start with every KH in the UK. Discard those that haven't had any apostasy this year. That's almost all of them gone from the experiment.

(Lets assume 1% DF'd every year, so in the UK 1200 - mostly for non-apostate reasons <wink>. Further assume 10% are in fact apostate, so 120 individuals, 2/3rds of whom are married couples. So we have another assumption of 80 KH's with some apostasy every year.)

I would put a finger in the air and say half of all apostates become 'born again' and half become atheists. Of those 80 KH's most apostates were DF'd and left alone into the night - in a few cases they convinced a few others to join them. So out of the 40 'born again' apostate situations lets say 5 were able to take a few more JWs with them.

Out of those 5 KH's, only one of them went on to subsequently stage a public re-baptism with several other ex-JW's in attendance - it was called Bishopbriggs this year and it will be somewhere else next year.

No prayers or invisble magic men in the sky - just mathematics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derren_Brown#The_System

Note to any Christians - this is not intended as an attack on your faith, just an alternative explanation supported by observation - ie it is falsifiable.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Fantastic!

BTS

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

Meh, hard for me to get excited about it. But good for them if they're in a place they like and it's not a controlling religion.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Because so many Witnesses are starting to "wake up and smell the coffee" is the reason why we started our house church five years ago. Several of those who attend are former Witnesses who realised they did not have to leave God behind when they left the Watchtower org.

My first "stop" on the way out of the JWs was a house church. They were a great help for me. I am still good friends with the host family and several of the members.

BTS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit